Powdered Sugar Vs Cornstarch For Rollling Fondant?

Decorating By jpmama Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm by bashini

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 5

I've never used cornstarch, I have been worried about the taste. Is there an advantage to using cornstarch over powdered sugar for rolling rondant?

4 replies
Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 5

I use MMF and used to roll out with PS simply because I was too lazy to remember to buy cornstarch when I was at albertsons. I used it for my last cake and noticed that I was able to get it thinner with less sticking/almost no sticking, and there was no real taste at all. Now if you poured on the corn starch and let it soak in there would be another story....but for rolling out your fondant (for me) it's better icon_smile.gif

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 5

I use a combination of cs and ps (equal parts). I have a small ice cream bucket that I keep it mixed up in so it's ready when I need to refill my "pouncer". icon_smile.gif I've found that the combination works a lot better than just one or the other.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 5

I prefer the cornstarch because it takes less and it's very easy to wipe off of the fondant once I get it all rolled out.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 5

I use cornstarch most of the time. You need to use very little. But I have tried shortening and it works well too! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%