Black Buttercream

Decorating By lecrn Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm by lecrn

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a cake with black buttercream. It's for a 6th b-day party. I tried to talk her into black fondant, but she wouldn't budge. I told her she would have a lot of kids with black mouths & stained clothes to no avail.
I was wondering if I could just make a dark choc bc & add black color? Also, does anyone have a good dark choc bc recipe that smoothes well & crusts? My recipe calls for cocoa, but when I smooth it with a hot spatula, the color isn't very uniform.
Thanks

4 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 5

That's exactly how I make black BC but I just add a high quality cocoa to the BC recipe I normally use. I haven't gotten any color changes - not sure if it's the cocoa I use or what but it sure beats everyone walking around with black teeth and smiles...... icon_eek.gif hahaha

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 5

ditto what BJ said....

I've added melted chocolate to my regular buttercream, along with cocoa powder and that gives the icng a nice chocolatey taste. thumbs_up.gif After that I add a little black color and let it sit to deepen.

Be sure to post pics of the cake. I'm curious to know what kind of a cake was done (in black) for a 6th birthday party. My black icing was for a 40th birthday coffin cake. icon_lol.gif

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 5

I use a Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate coco powder. If you don't use that particular one, your BC will not get as dark. I went thru soooooo much trouble before I got this tip from my cake teacher.

Then you can add the black food coloring.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all. I'll try the Hershey's Dark Choc.
For some reason, I'm not getting notifications on my posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%