How Do I Get White Mmf?

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 2:55am by BakerzJoy

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 8

I have been making Marshmallow Fondant for a while. I have my neices 1st birthday coming up in two weeks and I need to use white MMF. Every time I make it it's kinda off white. How do i get a really pretty gleamimg white color. I never understood why is wasn't white anyway...white MM and white powdered sugar should create white. But anyway, any help would be great...thanks!

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 8

Do you add any extracts when you're making it.......maybe that's why it's not pure white.

I don't know, mine comes out pure white......it's just 1 pkg marshmallows, 2 TBS water and 2lb CS, sometimes I add extracts for flavor.

That's strange, like you said all the ingredients are white, so why wouldn't it turn out white? icon_confused.gif

BakerzJoy Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 8

I use the same ingredients as you do with no extracts. I wonder if it could be my shortening. I always grease my spoon and hands with it and it's kinda off white. Could that be it? I use walmart marshmallows too, maybe I should switch. I don't know, I'm really confused!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 8

Mine never comes out pure white either. I add wilton white food coloring. I have used both generic and name brand marshmallows with the same effect.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 8

HTH's...........one time I made two batches one after the other. I noticed that one batch was more cream than white and it hit me. Just a few extra seconds in the microwave turns it darker. So if you can stir the heck out of your marshmallows ea. time you take it out and do as minimal time in the mic. it comes out more white. icon_smile.gif I also figure out that your marshmallows don't have to be overly runny out of the mic.
Good luck!

Chippi

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

That's a good point chicci, I try to keep the microwave time to a minimum.

I've used both store brand and kraft marshmallows and I also grease my mixer's bowl, hands, and beater blade w/crisco so I don't think it's that.

I think it could be the microwave cooking time. icon_smile.gif

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 8

I have noticed when I make mine in the mixer, rather than hand kneading, it comes out much whiter.

BakerzJoy Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 8

Well, thanks everyone. I will try a little of everything and see what works. Wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%