Gumpaste Pieces - How Far In Advance?

Decorating By clovely Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 5:33am by Chef_Stef

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 6

How far in advance can I make gumpaste accent pieces? It's for something I want to do for a teacher at school but I'm not sure when they're going to do the party. If they end up pushing the party to the end of the year (about a month from now), will they keep that long?

5 replies
luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 6

good question, I have a wedding cake in the end of June. If I am going to do gumpaste, I will need that long to get them all done, will they last?

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 6

I have gumpaste and fondant pieces that I made 6 months ago and they are fine, since you dont eat gum paste and its only for making accent /decorative pieces they should be just fine. they dry very hard. Just keep them in a dry covered place, since the colors can fade in the light I would just keep them in a dark/covered place so they dont fade.

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 6

I always make my gumpaste accents and figures quite a bit early. You will have no problem making them now and having to hold onto them until June.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 6

I'm still making some rather thick ones for a cake for this Wednesday night.....waaaaaahhh! I hope they set! I've been soooo lazy!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 6

I'd do them now for sure. I have bad luck GP pieces, especially anything that has to stand UP, like curlicues etc. They just don't set up in time and tend to sag and 'wilt'...bleh. Sooner's better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%