Trying To Find An Edible Image

Decorating By DyMakesCake Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm by DyMakesCake

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 20

I am doing a 11x15 cake for a work lunch for Cinco De Mayo. I was wanting to do it like the flag of Mexico. The part I am having the hardest time with is the emblem in the middle with the eagle and snake.

I have searched every cake supply store I have bookmarked and am coming up empty handed.

I have also asked Wal-Mart if this is something they could help me with and I was told no.

So can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

19 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 20

I have always just found a picture on the internet and printed it out and then take it to Publix (grocery store) bakery and paid for them to print out an edible image sheet. HTH

DyMakesCake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 20

We don't have a Publix. We have Kroger, Meijer and Walmart and all three said no.

Thank you for your response though.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 20

If you "Google" Edible image print you'll find a business online that will do this for you. HTH icon_smile.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 20

How about Baskin Robbins (ice cream shop). They use them for their cakes and may be willing to sell an EI to you.

DyMakesCake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

How about Baskin Robbins (ice cream shop). They use them for their cakes and may be willing to sell an EI to you.

Never thought of that. Of course we don't have a Baskin Robbins, we do have Coldstone Creamery though. I can always try them.

Thanks!!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 20

You could also do a FBCT if you can't get a edible image.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 20

There is a place online that sells them. Their VERY expensive though. And you might not get it in time for May 5th.
I have a printer with edible ink/paper. If you want , I can print it for you.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 20

I've only seen cake kits at Coldstone, no edible images.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyMakesCake

We don't have a Publix. We have Kroger, Meijer and Walmart and all three said no.

Sorry if this sounds redundant, but did they understand that you basically want a photo on the cake and the photo just happens to be of the flag and not a person. It sounds like they are confused, because the Walmart and Meijer's near me both do photo/edible images and you can take in any picture that you want.

DyMakesCake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You could also do a FBCT if you can't get a edible image.

I would love to just be able to do a FBCT but I've only done one before and this is a much more complex design. Thank you for the suggestion though.
LL

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 20

Adonis, some of the Walmarts and grocery stores wont do edible images for people. I know my Walmart wont do it and I believe my Food Lion wont also. I was able to go to Giant and get one but they really acted like they didnt want to do it. I think because their not the ones doing the cake. Another CCer had asked Giant to do one for her and they refused. So I think it all depends on the store/store policy. Thats why I invested in it. I had a travel wedding cake I had to do with a US Naval Academy signia on it that had to be all edible images. The place online charged believe $15 a sheet. That would of cost me a bundle! So I went to Target and bought a printer/scanner for $29 and bought the edible ink for it. Glad I did!

DyMakesCake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Quote:

Sorry if this sounds redundant, but did they understand that you basically want a photo on the cake and the photo just happens to be of the flag and not a person. It sounds like they are confused, because the Walmart and Meijer's near me both do photo/edible images and you can take in any picture that you want.

Yes, I took the picture with me and asked them if they could make it into an edible image for me to use personally and they said no. One girl really acted put out that I would even ask. I really should just buy a printer myself. But I don't have internet access at home so that would be pretty dumb.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #14 of 20

wierkd,

I'd love some specifics on which printer and inks you bought. I 've been contemplating this for a long time but I'm afraid I'll get the wrong setup. Thanks for your help.

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

really? even if you take them the picture?

a couple of years ago my daughter wanted a cowgirl birthday...I took a pic of a boot/hat to walmart and they made a copy on rice paper for like 5 bucks for me, no prob! Hmmm. icon_rolleyes.gif

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

wierkd,

I'd love some specifics on which printer and inks you bought. I 've been contemplating this for a long time but I'm afraid I'll get the wrong setup. Thanks for your help.

i just got an epson c120 directly from epson for $32 and no shipping then got my edible inks from KopyKake...that parts the killer though. icon_lol.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 20

I have an Epson 7650. LOVE it!!!! It has taken me an entire year to use up my initial cartridges (I don't do it very often), and I haven't had a problem with it drying or anything like that. Plus, I've had "regular" people call and ask if I would sell them an edible image b/c NONE of our stores in the ENTIRE city (over a million people) will sell edible images. I charge $5 a sheet.

Back on track... Why don't you put a shout out to all of the CC people in your area and see if you can get something from them? Or the kind member who offered to send you it???

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:38pm
post #18 of 20

I have an Epson 7650. LOVE it!!!! It has taken me an entire year to use up my initial cartridges (I don't do it very often), and I haven't had a problem with it drying or anything like that. Plus, I've had "regular" people call and ask if I would sell them an edible image b/c NONE of our stores in the ENTIRE city (over a million people) will sell edible images. I charge $5 a sheet.

Back on track... Why don't you put a shout out to all of the CC people in your area and see if you can get something from them? Or the kind member who offered to send you it???

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 20

go to www.ebay.com and type in edible image . they wont have what you want but there are some on there that if you contact them they will make it for you. as far as the stores go i know what you mean we have hy-vee grocery in out area most of them wont do it for you they will only do it if they are making the cake , but one will and dont care but it is getting a little high priced. i had a printer and got the edible ink from kopy kake also but didnt do enough of them and the printer head would dry out.
Tami

DyMakesCake Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

That's what I did and she's gonna help me out. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%