Urgent! Defrosting Question!

Decorating By sugarmamma03 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm by sugarmamma03

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 9

I have a cake and some cupcakes in the freezer that I need to decorate tomorrow. Should I get them out of the freezer tonight, or tomorrow morning? What is the best way to let them defrost? In the fridge or on the counter? And wrapped or unwrapped?
Thanks so much!

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:07am
post #2 of 9

Hi there, yes, you can take them out tonight and with the wrappings on. I put them in the fridge to thaw. icon_smile.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 9

I always frost cakes straight out of the freezer, of course making sure that they will be unthawed by the time they are going to be served. icon_smile.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 9

I always frost cakes straight out of the freezer, of course making sure that they will be unthawed by the time they are going to be served. icon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 9

To be on the safe side take them out tonight so your customer is not eating a frozen cake leave it to defrost still wrapped,I would leave it on the counter though.But then again I do not do frozen cakes so might not be the best person to advise you.Good luck.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9

I have occasionally run into a problem frosting still-frozen cakes and having the frosting run from the condensation when it they thawed. I would personally take them out tonight to be safe.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 9

Ditto what Mrs. Mabe said....watch out for the condensation that results from the thaw. You need to allow time for that moisture to resolve itself.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 9

Put them in the fridge tonight to be thawed by tomorrow. Leave them wrapped. There have been other forums that discuss the safety of allowing a cake to thaw at room temp -bacterial issues, etc. I figure, why not err on the side of safe and allow to thaw in the fridge...

sugarmamma03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmamma03 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%