Cutting Out Fondant Shapes

Decorating By TSG177 Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 2:24am by TSG177

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone, Maybe someone can help me. Every time I cut out my fondant shapes or flowers with either the metal cutters or daisy cutters they never cut smooth. There is some extra on the shape or flower. I hope this makes sense. It is not a clean sharp cut. Does anyone have any suggestions? This happens with new cutters. It is just driving me crazy. Thanks!

Sandy icon_eek.gif

6 replies
whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 7

I use a little vodka, or extract on a paint brush and it "brushes" away. I also cut it out stick it in the freezer for a second so that the shape doesn't get distorted when I pick it up.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 7

When I use metal or plastic cutters, I like to dust the cutter with a little powder sugar or cornstarch. It keeps the foundant from sticking and gives a cleaner cut.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 7

I'd love to know how to fix this too!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #5 of 7

i roll out my fondant on powder sugar... not too thick .. not too thin... whether a metal cutter or plastic.. i press hard.. sorta move in a circular motion. and it usually comes out clean.. sometimes daisy, gerbera daisies, flowers like that.. they are harder to cut clean.. you can .. after cutting thru... turn it upside down. and roll small rolling pin over it too. that helps a lot.. i dust lightly as i said under the fondant. and also lightly on top of fondant.. this is just easier for me.hth

marilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marilu Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #6 of 7

have you tried to dip the edge of the cutters in cornstarch? That works for me icon_wink.gif

whitet4: the freezer idea for avoiding distorted shapes sounds great!! i'll definitely give it a try!

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will be making a Mother's Day cake and will try these suggestions out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%