Is This Cake Going To Be Ok?

Decorating By in2cakes2 Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 12:01am by in2cakes2

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I am doing my first sculped cake and I was very unsure of how it was going to turn out so I started it on Monday and its almost done and the party isn't until Sunday. Monday I baked then wrapped the cake in saran wrap and put it in the fridge then Tuesday I assembled and crumb coated Wed. I sculped and put another crumb coat Thurs. I put the fondant on and now I just have some fondant details to make and put on. The cake is in the fridge as long as it stays in there till Sunday will it be ok?? I always wait till the last minute and put myself in a bind and didn't want that to happen this time. Sorry about all the rambling icon_redface.gif

7 replies
in2cakes2 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone??

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 8

Do you have a perishable filling in it that has to be in the fridge? I've seen a lot of posts on here about how refrigerating a cake makes it go stale faster. Someone had a link to a scientific article about it or something. You might want to do a search on that to get the details.

Hope someone else has an answer for you!

in2cakes2 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 8

It is a WASC w/BC inbetween the layers (3 layers). Thanks maybe I should just leave it on the counter.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 8

I have made mine a few days ahead of time and they are fine for at least 5 days...we eat it by then, lol. I try not to refridgerate it after I frost it but I do put it in the basement where it is cooler and it seems to be fine each time. Good luck!

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 8

Definatly take it out of the fridge. The fondant will not hold up on there. Also since the cake is covered with buttercream and fondant it is pretty well sealed and the cake should stay fresh. Good luck.

ninalou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninalou Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 8

Don't leave it in the fridge if its got fondant on. it will go soggy. I put all my finished cakes into a cake box and leave in a cool room. (ie, not a hot conservatory or kitchen thats too steamy!)
I believe the general rule with sponge cakes is that they will keep for around 2 weeks, so thats 1 week to decorate it and then that gives the recipient a week to eat it. It will still be fine after that, just not as soft and fresh.

HTH!

in2cakes2 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks so much!! Cake doesn't last long enough to go bad in our house either lol so I wasn't sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%