Quick Please! Chocolate Mff

Decorating By underthesun Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm by Lisaa1996

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 9

Making chocolate MFF using semi-sweet chocolate. Cooled gelatin/corn syrup to room temperature. Much, much gooier (like thick jelly) than regular MFF or white chocolate MFF, I've made in the past. I went ahead and added to the first 2LB PS. Has anyone made it before? I'm really worried about it being too dry tomorrow. Do I keep adding PS? Still sticky, but I'm very nervous about it. Please any suggestions?

8 replies
underthesun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 9

Please help! Need advice!

okay, I opened up yesterdays chocolate MFF that I made, which also started with a gooier than usual liquid base, but not this gooey. I ended up added about 3 lbs PS, which is still less than my normal. It is very dry and not stretchy at all, just breaks.

So, I've turned the new batch out onto my kneading board, after only adding 2lb PS. It seems the right consistency, but maybe a little stiffer than normal.

Wondering... I want to darken the brown. If I go ahead and add brown gel color, now... haven't I read the gel colors have glycerin, would this help it?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 9

Chocolate Rolled Fondant
This is the recipe I use, it tastes great. It also freezes well. The amount of chocolate is easily changed to taste. It makes about 3 1/2 - 4 pounds of fondant.
1/2 c. heavy cream (or milk or water)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
dash salt
1 c. white corn syrup
3 Tbsp. real butter (or shortening)
3 Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. to 1 c. cocoa
3 1/2 to 4 lb. powdered sugar
Mix cream and gelatin, allow to firm up (3-5 min.). Set on double boiler with simmering water. Add salt and allow gelatin to melt. Add corn syrup, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool to luke warm. In large mixer bowl place desired amount of cocoa and 2 lbs. of powdered sugar. Pour liquid through strainer into sugar and cocoa. Stir by hand until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook mix on low until sugar is combined. Add small amounts of powdered sugar mixing until fondant wraps around hook. Place fondant on surface that is dusted with some of the remaining powdered sugar. Knead until smooth. Only add enough sugar so that the fondant is no longer sticky. Cover fondant with a thin layer of shortening and wrap several times with plastic wrap, then place in ziploc bag or other air tight container. Allow to rest overnight.
If you want to make white chocolate fondant, chop up white chocolate and add with corn syrup. Always strain liquid.
This fondant can be made any flavor, just leave out chocolate, add your flavor with the corn syrup and adjust powdered sugar to get the proper consistency.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry, I can't help with your dilema now, I have never made mmf using chocolate chips............there is a recipe on here, though, that I have used, and it is the BEST chocolate MMF ever! It tastes just like a tootsie roll, and it is a dream to roll out!!!! Here it is, and thanks Rhonda!!!!!

Rhond'as Ultimate Chocolate MMF
Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Pound Cakes, Sponge Cakes, White Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Thanksgiving Cakes, Strawberry Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

Introduction
This is an awesome chocolate mmf that actually tastes chocolate. It's also great for making black because its already dark and you need very little to get it black.
Ingredients
15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 3/4 C dutch processed (dark) cocoa
6 C confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

** I have found that I have to use less sugar because of the cocoa.
Directions
Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, cocoa, lemon juice, salt and extract. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

Hope you like it!

Source:

Contributed by rhopar33 on Tuesday, March 13. 2007 at 08:19:04

underthesun Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks dsilvest! I kneaded the batch I'm working on, adding about another cup of powdered sugar (that's just barely over 2lb PS. Made a lot less fondant. It seems like the right consistency - no idea what it'll do tomorrow. I'm going to work on salvaging yesterdays batch by adding brown coloring. At least I've learned to do all this days in advance. If they aren't working tomorrow I'll try your cocoa version tomorrow. I just hate wasting the ingredients.

If anyone out there has suggestions, I'd love to hear them! icon_sad.gif

dsilvest Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 9

It is also important to add the powdered sugar to the warm liquids. Never hot or cold. These temperatures will affect the amount of icing sugar you require. Too hot - you need to add more icing sugar to keep it from being sticky. Fondant will be dry the next day. Too cold - Less icing sugar is added to keep the fondant from being sticky. Fondant will be sticky the next day. Try adding some more glucose/cornsyrup to the mixture when you are making it.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 9

On the Michele Foster's chocolate fondant, is that just baking cocoa? Like Hershey's Baking Cocoa?

dsilvest Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, it is just cocoa powder. If you can find extra dark, you probably won't need food colouring.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 9

Hi, I have made a couple batches of Chocolate MMF and had them come out great! I just used one bag of mini marsh., about 4 cups of PS, a couple Tbs. of cocoa powder and 2 TBS. H2O. After I melted the marsh. w/ water, I added the dry stuff and if it wasn't dark enough, I added a little brown food coloring. My kids LOVED it and it tasted just like a tootsie roll! I used it to cover a 10" cake and to do designs on it and it was fine. I little dryer than reg. MMF but nothing a little extra crisco couldn't fix. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%