Price For A Cake With Gum Paste Animals

Decorating By Diana44 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 12:21am by Sassy74

Diana44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana44 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 5

Can anyone help me with how to price a small 2 tier cake for a first birthday? I usually do mostly buttercream icing. The cake is 2 tier with the top to be used for the one year old and the bottom layer to feed approximately 20-25 people. Iced in buttercream with fondant zebra stripes and 3 animals made out of gum paste. ( a bear, a elephant and a lion). This will only be my second time working with forming animals.
The customer wants a cost before she places the order. Can anyone help?

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:31am
post #2 of 5

it seems like on here people charge between $5 - $30 for figues, so it depends on all the usual, your area, ingrediants, your time and how long it will take you.
it sounds like a cool cake, good luck!
xx

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

i recently charged $24 for 3 frogs sitting on a lily pad. The whole thing was about 6 inches round. I think I under charged a bit. I should have at least charged $30

I tried to add a pic but I don't have time to re size it right now.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:46am
post #4 of 5

I would say that, that would depend on the quality of each figure.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #5 of 5

Hmmm, this sounds similar to a cake order I have coming up. It's for a two-tier stacked-10" and 6". All buttercream. I'm making a fondant tiger topper. I'm charging $75 for this cake, including $15 for the tiger. That's basically what I charge per animal. Ppl have to realize that it's quite time consuming and takes a fair amount of skill to do these animals, and therefore...they ain't cheap! Three animals is quite a lot, and could take you a while. Don't feel bashful about charging a fair price for your work. As someone recently said on CC...you don't work for minimum wage!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%