Uneven Cake (1/4"), Time To Worry?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 2:22am by BlakesCakes

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 4

I have a 2 tier stacked, fondant covered cake (5", 7"). I've got 3 skewers supporting the top cake on a cake circle and 1 skewer down through the entire thing into the cake board. Decorated the cake and see that the top of the bottom tier doesn't look level. Measured and only 1/4" off, but looks like more due to my decoration, I think. Do you think it's ok to leave it or should I strip it down and start again? Thank you!

3 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 4

construction wise, you should be ok, I have been off too but it didn't cause any collapsing because of the supports. It is more of an appearance thing,but if it is very noticeable, is there something else you can do to cover the unevenness?

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you, Patty. I was mostly worried about support. I'm going to go back and see what I can add to draw the eye away like you suggest. I appreciate your input!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 4

Sorry, but if you have used skewers---and not dowels---then that 5 inch cake is teetering on nothing but long toothpicks. If it has any weight to it--filling, decoration, etc., those skewers could pierce the cardboard, slip sideways, or splinter very easily with any movement.

It's your call, but skewers are not recommended as support in cake decorating. I use Wilton plastic dowels or hidden pillars. If those are unavailable to you right now, 4 plastic straws from McDonalds will hold the 5" just fine.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%