St Augustine/jville..any Tips?

Lounge By pipe-dreams Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 2:22am by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 7

I'm leaving for St. Augustine/Jacksonville tomorrow night. I've never been there, despite my growing up in FL..lol

Anyone from there? We have a 2 1/2 year old. I know we'll go to the zoo in Jacksonville, but the rest is a mystery. Is there anything we just HAVE to see? Our 2 year anniversary is Monday, so would like a nice romantic restaurant as well for one night. Thanks for the suggestions!!

6 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 7

Ohhhh there are so many nice Bed & Breakfasts in St Auggie! The Fort and old city are not to be missed of course, lots of good and unique shopping and sights there. they have a Ghost Tour also, since it's a haunted city! There are a couple of outlet malls right off 95 at the St Auggie exit. Marineland Seaquarium is there but I have not been in many many years so can't speak to how it is now. Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum is there. LOTs of great seafood around town.

I'm born and raised in Jacksonville, the zoo is nice, they have really revamped it. It has a Komodo Dragon exibit going on now and they may still have the stingrays. In Jax, we have a Children's Museum of Science and History, the Riverwalk (a scenic boardwalk around the river downtown), Jacksonville Landing (a downtown gathering shopping/eating/entertainment center) they have free concerts often. This weekend I believe is also the official opening of the beaches which means concerts etc.

Check out Jacksonville.com for more things to do.. also firstcoastnews.com
Come see us! (what part of FL are you coming from?)

pipe-dreams Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #3 of 7

Thank you SO much! We were planning on the zoo and ripley's, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I would regret not getting to do. We're actually coming from South Carolina, but I grew up in Vero Beach, and lived in Melbourne, too. I'll definitely check out those sites you gave, especially looking for the concerts! Our friend lives in Palatka, which is not too far, so they're able to watch our daughter for a bit while we have grown up time!

chilz822 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 7

Well, as you're coming down 95, just after you cross the GA/FL line and you see the exit for A1A Callahan, wave to your right and I'll wave back (my house is the one that smells like cake!!)
icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 7

pipe-dreams!

I just went to the jax zoo this past weekend and it is wonderful. Several activity areas for kids to let loose. And there is the new baby Jaguar "Harry". He is soooooooo cute, sleeping with his mommy. Don't forget the train ride, around the whole campus after you get tired of walking.

St. Aug is the place to go for that romantic dinner. Definitely consider "The Columbia" down on St. George street. Great food and great Sangria. My favorite is also "The Rain Tree" on San Marco Blvd (call for reservations though).

chilz822 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 7

Ohhhh... the Columbia, I ditto that. Their Sangria and crab cakes are the bomb! Don't forget Savannah Sweets across the street!

pipe-dreams Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 7

Thank you both so much! I hate wine, but I LOVE sangria! I will surprise hubby with dinner there!
Oh, and I saw a video clip of Harry today, and showed it to my DD. She was like, awwwww...baaabbbbbbbyyyy! She's excited to see him!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%