Chocolate Cake

Decorating By jewlsjahl Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm by jewlsjahl

jewlsjahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlsjahl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 7

How do I make chocolate cake from yellow or white cake mix? How much cocoa should I add? Any other stuff I should add?

Recipes? Please help

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

depends on your recipe, i do a victoria sponge (like a yellow cake), and replace an ounce or two of flour with cocoa.
xx

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 7

Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to dry cake ingredient
mixture.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not quite sure of the answer to this, because I have never done it before, but I wonder if adding a pack of instant chocolate pudding mix to it would work?

I know it won't work to try to replace some of the dry cake mix with cocoa powder because then you will be taking out some of the leavening and sugar and that would probably mess up the cake.

Sorry I wish I could help you more. I even tried googling it because I was curious myself and I couldn't find a good straight answer.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

I'm not quite sure of the answer to this, because I have never done it before, but I wonder if adding a pack of instant chocolate pudding mix to it would work?

I know it won't work to try to replace some of the dry cake mix with cocoa powder because then you will be taking out some of the leavening and sugar and that would probably mess up the cake.

Sorry I wish I could help you more. I even tried googling it because I was curious myself and I couldn't find a good straight answer.

Dont take away any of the dry mix just add to the cake mix and it will be fine and will not effect the leavening or taste at all.

jewlsjahl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

jewlsjahl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 7

I used:

4 3/4 C White Cake mix
3/4 C cocoa
2 C flour
2 C Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2C Water
1/2 C Veg oil
6 Eggs
16 oz Sour Cream
1 Tbs Instant Coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup of water

I filled a 10"X 3" Pan about 3/4 full.

The Batter was delicious and like a caramel color.

It's in the oven now...I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%