Perfect Corners On Square Cakes

Decorating By jayla Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm by bakingatthebeach

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:30am
post #1 of 8

How to I get perfect corners on square buttercream cakes?

I have a square wedding cake next week and I really want it to turn out nice.

Help please!!!

jayla

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:43am
post #2 of 8

There's a piece in the articles section about this.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 10:45am
post #3 of 8

Are we doing the same cake (lol)......I'm also doing my 1st 5 tier square cake for next weekend, my nieces wedding. If you look on you tube tonedna has a great video on icing cakes & square cakes. I hope you're not as nervous as I am about this big project. Are you going to transport it fully assembled, that's what I'm considering?Good Luck

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 8

Are you doing it in BC or fondant. I have a combo of wilton pans and two magic line pans and the magic line corners are so sharp and are easier to get those sharp corners because the cake comes out with sharp corners. It is harder with the wilton ones, takes more frosting to sorta build them up but it can be done. Just takes alot of time and practice.

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:30am
post #5 of 8

Yes, I have the magic line pans. They are great. Yes I am very nervous about traveling with such a large cake. I am planning to have it fully assembled, other than flowers.

I watched Sugarshack video on perfecting buttercream , it really helped.

jayla

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:37am
post #6 of 8

When I bake, the corners of my square cakes never rise as much as the rest of cake and they are never nice and square, so I end up having to slice a half inch or so off each side of the cake to square it off. I just ordered Magic Line pans, and I'm really hoping they help with the corner problem.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:06am
post #7 of 8

Do you have the sps system? Apparently you should have no worry travelling with the cake fully assembled, that's what I'm counting on...I've got 2 guys to carry it because the weight will be very heavy & I know I could never handle it.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 8

I have my first square one in Oct. Im going to use the SPS on it as I do for my round. Makes me feel better traveling with it. Will Place the top tier at the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%