Nice Fluffy Bc Icing

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm by mommaJto7

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 13

Hello to all, i have a question about BC i watch the Cake callenges on Food Network and the icing that they put on there cakes looks so so fluffy and light and it looks so easy to spread does anyone here know what receipe it is or what it is? i get so tired of my Bc not turning out sometimes even though i think i follow the receipe does it have whipped cream in it or what ?? any information would be so helpful also i tried making sugarshaks bc and it didnt quite turn out like the video/
Thanks everyone

12 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone?

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 13

I have no idea but I would LOVE to know also. I saw the video on youtube about the TT cakes and the buttercream she was using was soooo nice and fluffy looking. Anyone know?

sully149 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully149 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 13

I have not tried this one yet but this is what I found I am going to try it this weekend.

1 packet of Dream Whip
1/2 C. Cold Water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP butter, softened
3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 Cups Shortening
2 lbs. Powered Sugar

Combine dream whip, water, and vanilla with a mixer in a deep bowl until combined on low; Increase speed to high and whip until mixture begins to look fluffy (approximately 4 minutes).

Add shortening, whipping cream, and butter. Combine with mixer on low speed, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Once combined, mix on high for approximately two minutes. It should look like frosting at this point. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 13

I've always used the Wilton recipe, the same one that Edna de la Cruz uses, and it's always turned out great. I've learned that the secret to getting it very smooth on my cake is to NOT mix it too much. In fact, I usually do the last little bit of mixing by hand. Not sure what you mean by "fluffy." Like 7 minute frosting? Or like whipped frosting? I know that using real butter instead of all shortening will make for a fluffier frosting.

mommaJto7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaJto7 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 13

I agree with previous poster on the recipe. I know alot of cake bakers that use the whipped topped icing. I also have seen a cake baker use BC icing then spread the whipped icing over the top for extra fluffyness. It was a really cute cake. I use the freshest ingredients and I mix for a while. My BC is really fluffy and easy to spread. I use karo syrup to make my icing thinner and when I add it in, I mix for about 3 to 5 minutes on med to high.

cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

I've always used the Wilton recipe, the same one that Edna de la Cruz uses, and it's always turned out great. I've learned that the secret to getting it very smooth on my cake is to NOT mix it too much. In fact, I usually do the last little bit of mixing by hand. Not sure what you mean by "fluffy." Like 7 minute frosting? Or like whipped frosting? I know that using real butter instead of all shortening will make for a fluffier frosting.

Yes like whipped frosting or Cool whip , Thanks

cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaJto7

I agree with previous poster on the recipe. I know alot of cake bakers that use the whipped topped icing. I also have seen a cake baker use BC icing then spread the whipped icing over the top for extra fluffyness. It was a really cute cake. I use the freshest ingredients and I mix for a while. My BC is really fluffy and easy to spread. I use karo syrup to make my icing thinner and when I add it in, I mix for about 3 to 5 minutes on med to high.

Would you share your receipe with me? Thanks

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 13

I think regardless of their recipe, they are thinning it down to spread nicely without tearing up the cake.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 13

I just started using the BC recipe from Serious_Cakes you can find it on the recipe page on here and it does have heavy cream in it and mixes up lighter than the Wilton recipe that I was using. I think it has the great BC flavor with a lighter feel to it. icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2cakes2

I just started using the BC recipe from Serious_Cakes you can find it on the recipe page on here and it does have heavy cream in it and mixes up lighter than the Wilton recipe that I was using. I think it has the great BC flavor with a lighter feel to it. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks i will look it up

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 13

Using an icing base like Angel White or Brite White makes a nice fluffy icing icon_smile.gif

mommaJto7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaJto7 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 13

For one batch:
1/2 cup of solid vegtable shortening. I use crisco sticks. Room temp
1/2 cup of real butter, softened- I leave my butter out to get room temp
1 tspn Clear vanilla extract
4 cups of sifted confectioners suger or 1 lb
2 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoons of karo syrup.
I add in shortening and butter and cream together very well then add in my vanilla extract
I add in my confections sugar one cup at a time
I add in the milk and syrup together at the end and mix well. You can also add in more karo syrup for thinner icing.
You can also omit the milk and just use the karo syrup.
This is the same recipe I have use for 10 years. Never fails me unless it is humid outside!
I have also used the whipped topping and the trick to it is mixing alot. I do not use it alot unless requested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%