Fondant Accents On Bc...

Decorating By stemps Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 4:29am by tonedna

stemps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stemps Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a birthday cake for next weekend, and the design has red, blue and black fondant accents on white buttercream. My question is how far in advance can I put the fondant accents on before I have to worry about them going soft or the colors bleeding??

Thanks!!

6 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #2 of 7

I did a cake with a fondant plaque on the top and had no problems at all. But I always wondered about using fondant accents on the sides of buttercream or other frostings...what's to keep them from sliding off? icon_confused.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 7

I've put fondant cut outs on the sides of a BC cake and had no problems. The BC was white and the fondant was in bold primary colors. I let the BC crust well and attached the accents with a little water. The cake was picked up the next day. There were no color bleeding problems or sliding. I wouldn't want to refrigerate after attaching the accents just in case there were condensation issues.

stemps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stemps Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your help!!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 7

Our climate here is usually quite dry(20%-30% himidity). If your climate is very humid there might be a change. If your BC crusts well though I wouldn't worry about it. It should work.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 7

I made this cake and put the leftovers in the fridge for a few days. I didn't have any problems with bleeding and the fondant stayed on without any problems. You should be able to make it at least a day in advance without worry. I agree though, make sure your buttercream has crusted well.
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #7 of 7

Im from a humid area and is no trouble either. Make sure you use good quality color
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%