Covering Dummy Cakes

Decorating By cakemakerkevin Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm by cakemama175

cakemakerkevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemakerkevin Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

Ok anyone have a better way to cover a dummy cake ? I have done 2 ways. First one by drywall plaster then decorated. Seemed to be ok, except kept cracking.Took me forever, all the sanding .Thought i would never do that again icon_surprised.gif Well i needed another display and decided to do royal icing. Well that didnt go too bad but stilll took some time.What i am looking for has anyone poured royal icing kinda like ganach?(not sure on spelling) Or maybe a different covering that would last, and of course easier and faster. Thanks any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant is one of the easiest ways and it stays nice looking a very long time. I cover my dummys with Glad Press N Seal and then put a very light coat of clear piping gel. Add the fondant. When you are ready to dispose of the layer, you can peel off the Glad and resue your dummy icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 6

I did one in BC and it still looks good did it last year in Aug im using it again this year but different flowers and things,

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

I mist my dummies with water, then cover in Wilton fondant. Works every time, and the Wilton is so full of preservatives that it lasts forever icon_biggrin.gif ! When it's time to change a dummy, the fondant peels right off.

cakemakerkevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemakerkevin Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info .. i have a bridal show comin up and just want to get done. will post more pics soon as they are finished thumbs_up.gif

cakemama175 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama175 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 6

I use fonndant as well. But be careful about covering it in plastic wrap first. I covered my first cake dummy in plastic wrap, misted with water, then covered with fondant, and you could see the little creases from the plastic wrap! Maybe I should make my fondant thicker if I try it that way again. But fondant is the best decorating medium I've found!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%