Maypole And Cookie Filling?

Decorating By missmikey Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 1:35am by cricket0616

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a suggestion for making a maypole for a cake. My brand new daughter in law wants me to make her a cake with a maypole. Also I can't find the threads with the information about using a big cookie in between the layers of cake. Can anyone help me find it or give me a reminder of how to use them in a cake?

Thank you,

3 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #2 of 4

I can't help you with the maypole but I can with the cookie filling. Use the bag mixes and mix according to the directions on the package. Use the same size pan as you did for your cake layers and press the cookie mixture into the pan and bake - it will be thick so you have to watch it while you bake so you don't overcook it. Before you place the cookie layer on your cake, put a thin coat of buttercream on each side of the cookie, top with your final layer of cake and decorate as usual. The cookie filling will get softer as it sits in the cake. It is really delicious.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 4

I would use some pvc pipe and a couple of pipe flanges (one to hold the topper, one to attach to the board) to make the maypole.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 4

I have had to made a real maypole for a fundraiser, so I hope the idea helps. How about decorating a 8 or 10 in round cake with BC icing in green to reflect grass. You can make the maypole out of fondant and role it into a tube shape and allow to dry(For extra support you may want to roll the fondant around a wooden dowel). Before it drys completle insert a toothpick into one end. Purchase ribbon in multiple spring colors ( I think I used five colors) I would think it would have to be 1/2 or less. It will need to be long enough to drape across both sides of the cake. Find the middle of the ribbon and place a small hole in the ribbon. Press the middle of the ribbon onto the toothpick. You will need to space them out similar to pie wedges. Once you have them in place, roll a small ball of fondant and place it on top of the ribbon. (you will have the pole, then ribbon and then the ball). Maypole complete. Because of the height and weight of the pole you will need to support the pole at the cakeboard. I would suggest using a wooden board - covered. You can either drill a hole in the bottom of the cakeboard or go to the hardware store and buy a coupling probably in the plumbing section and attach to the board. All will need to be covered. Place the cake on the board, making sure to to leave a hole in the middle for the maypole. Insert the maypole and there you go. The ribbons will drape across the cake. Note: I know some people do not like using ribbon on cakes, but this is my only idea. Hope it helps. Email me if this does not sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%