Need Eggfree Cake Recipe, Not Chocolate

Baking By DottieKC Updated 29 May 2009 , 1:47pm by snowflake12

DottieKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DottieKC Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 7

My son is allergic to egg and I am looking for a moist egg-free cake recipe, but not chocolate. I have tried replacing recipes with egg replacers, but they have all come out a bit dry. Will anyone please share a recipe?
Thankyou so much.

6 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 7

I did a vegan cake last year and used egg replacer, it does not in any way replace eggs. The cake totally fell apart.

I was making chocolate cake and my mom recommended that i add some unsweetened canned pumpkin puree. It really helped. It made the cake moist and dense and did not fall apart.

Obviously this wouldn't work well for white cake but maybe you could do a spice cake and experiment with adding pumpkin puree.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 7

I was given one by a customer whos daughter was allergic to eggs. I'll go and look in my cake orders for it BRB!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 7

OK, here it is, I must admit I was skeptical at first, but it turned out very nicely and was yummy. I used it in a character pan and it was just enough, so it works out to be the equivalent to 1 box mix in quantity. To confirm - the evaporated milk is the stuff you use in coffee (coffee creamer in the US?), NOT the thick condensed milk in cans.

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
1 and 3/4 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 and a 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
Cream the butter and sugar until light & fluffy. Add the evaporated milk and thoroughly beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is creamy. Sift in the flour with the salt and baking powder and mix with the milk, blending well. Bake at 350 degrees until a skewer comes out clean from the middle (at least 20mins).

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 7

The book "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" has a great yellow cupcake recipe. I actually just ate some this afternooon and they were yummy!! I don't see why you couldn't make it in cake form.

katoomba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katoomba Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

My son is allergic to eggs and I use Ener G egg replacer in my cakes and in my BC icing. If you are baking a cake for someone allergic to eggs, please be aware that meringue is basically dried egg whites and can cause a reaction so you'll need an alternate recipe for your BC icing if you normally use meringue.

Their website: http://www.ener-g.com/

I've used the egg replacer with some success but found that I need to freeze the cake before torting and filling. The best luck I've had is with Cherrybrook Kitchens mix. They are expensive though so I started using the egg replacer since I need to use it all the time. But I find that I use this for cupcakes... the freezing method doesn't work very well.

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

I've gotten tons of complements about my cakes. Good luck!

icon_smile.gif

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

OK, here it is, I must admit I was skeptical at first, but it turned out very nicely and was yummy. I used it in a character pan and it was just enough, so it works out to be the equivalent to 1 box mix in quantity. To confirm - the evaporated milk is the stuff you use in coffee (coffee creamer in the US?), NOT the thick condensed milk in cans.

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
1 and 3/4 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 and a 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
Cream the butter and sugar until light & fluffy. Add the evaporated milk and thoroughly beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is creamy. Sift in the flour with the salt and baking powder and mix with the milk, blending well. Bake at 350 degrees until a skewer comes out clean from the middle (at least 20mins).

Bonjovibabe (love the name by the way), I just wanted to bump this up for anyone looking for a non-chocolate egg free cake/cupcake. I have searched hi and low since October for a non-choc egg free cake. I've lost track of how many recipes I've tried. I have chocolate down pat, it's everything else that I had issues with. Anyways, my kids are both allergic to eggs. I've even tried the Vegan cupcakes take over the world, and those didn't work out for me either. But I printed this off last friday. My son's birthday was saturday, and I was making him a chocolate cake. I wanted to make vanilla cupcakes as well (and I'm really a cc'er, not a caker). Anyways, after countless receipes, I didn't really have high hopes for this one either, but I figured what the heck, I'll give it a whirl. HANDS DOWN, the best vanilla egg free cupcake I've made so far. It was nice and dense. Had a beautiful domed top. Held together nicely while I filled them. Tasted great.

So thank you for this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%