2Inch Or 3 Inch / Cake Newbie On A Budget

Decorating By millicente Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm by millicente

millicente Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 11

I want to buy a set of Magic Line & a few Wilton's pans with my 40% off coupon from the craft stores. I'm a cookie designer and new to cakes. Should I buy 3 inch or 2 inch cake pans?

10 replies
KristyCakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 11

I like the 3" pans. I haven't tried Magic Line but love Fat Daddio. My 3" Wilton pans are ok, too. I'm able to get more toted layers at once which I like.

jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 11

I only use two inch pans. I bake them to where I can level the cake with the top of the pan and then stack two for a four inch tier. I don't tort my cakes unless specifically asked to.

mkolmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:13am
post #4 of 11

Not to long ago I would have said 3 inch, but now that I swear by the SPS system I use 2 inch pans so I have the perfect 4 inch height. I just started to tort my cakes a few months ago and I really like it for presentation. It's just as easy with the 2 inch as it is with the 3 inch IMHO.

xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 11

Magic Line all the way. Currently I am using the 2" as I like 4" height for cakes. I haven't tried the 3" yet......

panchanewjersey Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:22am
post #6 of 11

I just used a 3 8" pan to bake and hate it I prefer to use a 2" it's faster in baking and your right 4" tall with 2 8's. I love my Wilton pans. I like the light aluminum better. I tried other pans and didn't really like them.

hazelnut77 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #7 of 11

What is torting?? i figure is to alternate the layers of cake and filling, right??
This has been bugging me for a while.

xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:33am
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by hazelnut77

What is torting?? i figure is to alternate the layers of cake and filling, right??
This has been bugging me for a while.

Torting is when you take a cake and cut it into multiple layers and you put some kind of filling in between. I haven't done it myself but if I were to do wedding cakes I probably would try it. Right now I just put filling between each of my 2" cakes.
If I wanted to torte I would take each 2" cake cut them so they were 1" each in height. So when I put all the cake together I would end up with 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling.

I hope I explained that okay. icon_smile.gif

hazelnut77 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:39am
post #9 of 11

Thanks xstitcher, that's what i do, just didn't know it was called torting.

xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:48am
post #10 of 11

Your welcome. We've all been there and done that. I'm constantly learning new terms my fav word is the "thing-me or what-u-ma-call-it" icon_lol.gif

millicente Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so very much..........2 inch i is

Quote by @%username% on %date%