Freezing Cakes

Decorating By DLo912 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm by cupcakesnbuttercream

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone,

I am apparently nuts and volunteered to bring home FOUR cakes this weekend. I have quite a bit to do and was wondering how you go about freezing cakes for future use. What's the best way to store them in the freezer? Do they still taste good? Is the cake devoid of moisture after being in the freezer for a few days? I have never done this before and would love to do it because it would save me a lot of time later on.

Thank you!
icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 6

The only way your cake will be dry is if it was a dry cake to start with. Freezing it will not dry it out as long as it is wrapped properly. I sometimes freeze mine. When I do, I wrap in plastic wrap and then in foil after they have cooled. Let it thaw at room temp and then let them air dry for a little bit before you ice it.

Some people never freeze, some swear by freezing. I am in between and freeze when I have to because of taking too many orders. thumbs_up.gif

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif I am definitely going to try it!

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo912

Hello everyone,

Is the cake devoid of moisture after being in the freezer for a few days? icon_biggrin.gif

Quite the contrary, as long as the cake is properly wrapped, freezing actually helps your cakes be more moist thumbs_up.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 6

I wrap the cake when it is RIGHT out of the oven this contains all the steam that would normally be evaporated into the air. I then toss it straight into the freezer. I don't like to freeze for more than a few days, 2 weeks a the MOST. I then pull out of the freezer and let it thaw while STILL wrapped. This is important or the some of the moisture from the cake gets lost on the plastic wrap. I tend to let it thaw for 4ish ours before I begin to ice. This process leads to an extremely moist cake. It also makes a more dense pound cake like texture. I love this, others do not. It's all up to your personal taste/preference. Good luck!!

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

I wrap the cake when it is RIGHT out of the oven this contains all the steam that would normally be evaporated into the air. I then toss it straight into the freezer. I don't like to freeze for more than a few days, 2 weeks a the MOST. I then pull out of the freezer and let it thaw while STILL wrapped. This is important or the some of the moisture from the cake gets lost on the plastic wrap. I tend to let it thaw for 4ish ours before I begin to ice. This process leads to an extremely moist cake. It also makes a more dense pound cake like texture. I love this, others do not. It's all up to your personal taste/preference. Good luck!!

This is true! I recently had to freeze a cake i was working on (only for a couple hrs tho) it was wrapped in pw, and when i let it sit out to thaw..all the 'perspiration' was on the outside of the pw. BTW, the cake had a crumb-coat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%