Has Duncan Changed Lately?? Help!!

Decorating By korkyo Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 11:56am by GeminiRJ

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 13

I like Duncan cake mix but lately The texture is horiable.!!

It is just riddled with tiny holes. I don't think I'm doing anything different.

ANybody??

HELP!!!

12 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 13

The thing I noticed is that the amount of batter you get with the white cake mix is less than it used to be. Major bummer! I think it yields closer to 4 cups than to the 5 it previously did. I hadn't noticed the texture change...too busy freaking out over the amount of batter in the bowl!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 13

Any tips for getting a better texture? Maybe I'm doing something different and don't realize it. I do the eggs and oil first then the water.

icingcentral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingcentral Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 13

One thing that I have found helpful in getting a "smoother" batter is placing the eggs in a bowl of very warm water for a few minutes before I use. It's like having room temp. eggs w/o the wait! Hope this helps!

HoldensNanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoldensNanny Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 13

Have you tried tapping the pans (on the counter) afer you fill them before you place in the oven-- That seems to help me... I noticed too that it seems a little different....

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 13

I haven't noticed this yet...is it effecting the cake flavor at all? Like PP said, maybe tapping it on the counter will help. GL!

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 13

I noticed the exact same thing with my last couple of boxes. I did try sifting it and that helped a lot.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 13

I dunno, I've been using it for years. Sometimes it does seem to have more bubbles and other times not...but always tastes the same and always pleases the customers so I'm fine with it.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 13

This is the only brand I use and have not noticed any change. I do sift every time though. I even sift the pudding when I add a box. Hope that helps. Jaime

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 13

The only thing I have noticed is I don't get as much batter. I have had the "hole" thing before and I now tap my pans and I have been adding 1/2 tsp of baking powder to my batter and it seems to help. I hate that the amount of batter is different, I thought it was just me. I normally get 3 1/2 doz cupcakes out of a 1/2 recipe of WASC, but not now.

tootsie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsie927 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 13

I have noticed a change in DH cake mix since November (I use the butter). After playing around with it for awhile I have added more water, just enough until it drips off the beater (that's the only way I can explain it) and now it's fine after many nights of agony.
I hope this works for you.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:06am
post #12 of 13

Really? The amount of batter is different? I always tend to use DH because it yielded more batter than BC. But I prefer BC, it's not as "soft".

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:56am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Really? The amount of batter is different? I always tend to use DH because it yielded more batter than BC. But I prefer BC, it's not as "soft".

I haven't noticed a difference in the amount with devil's food, but definitely with the white. At first I thought I'd forgotten to add an ingredient, or maybe hadn't added the correct amount of water. But no. I'm getting about a cup of batter less per box, and I'm not happy about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%