Smbc Help Asap!!

Decorating By CourtneysSweets Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm by cakeschmake

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #1 of 21

I made a cake covered in SMBC and since my husband and every other taste tester is sleeping now how do I store the cake? fridge? counter? I'm just nervous cause the eggs.. Please help!!!

20 replies
timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 21

I keep my smbc for several days at room temp. No problem at all. Not really an issue since it's just the whites, and you've pasteurized them with the heat.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 21

If you live in a hot and humid place then I would refrigerate it. If your house is cool and dry I'd leave it out on the counter.

I've only used SMBC one time and when I asked this question everyone pretty much told me this.

BTW, do you like the taste of it? I loved it but nobody in my house liked it icon_sad.gif They all thought it tasted too much like butter and I used a lot of flavorings in it........oh well!

CourtneysSweets Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 21

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif
I honestly didn't care for it too much myself.. Which is why I want others to try it.. BUT I did burn my tongue earlier on my dinner so that's why I'm so eager to have others taste icon_biggrin.gif I only used vanilla.. Next time I think I'll try maybe a citrus flavor icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #5 of 21

I've used it a lot lately, my husband loves it and would eat it on everything if I'd let him. If you refrigerate it be sure to leave it out long enough for it to soften.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

If you live in a hot and humid place then I would refrigerate it. If your house is cool and dry I'd leave it out on the counter.

I've only used SMBC one time and when I asked this question everyone pretty much told me this.

BTW, do you like the taste of it? I loved it but nobody in my house liked it icon_sad.gif They all thought it tasted too much like butter and I used a lot of flavorings in it........oh well!

Exact opposite in my household! icon_lol.gif

To me the consistency sort of reminds me of whipped cream which I've never liked. It's a good thing though as I know my hips/thighs and stomach are thanking me!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #7 of 21

I think you should store it refrigerated to be on the safe side. But make sure you take it out well ahead of the time you are going to eat it to make sure the BC has softened. Rock hard meringue based BC is not nice.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:31am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtnChris

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif
I honestly didn't care for it too much myself.. Which is why I want others to try it.. BUT I did burn my tongue earlier on my dinner so that's why I'm so eager to have others taste icon_biggrin.gif I only used vanilla.. Next time I think I'll try maybe a citrus flavor icon_smile.gif

I tried it for the first time about a week ago....LOVED IT! There was a very noticable butter flavor though. I used Vanilla & Lorann's tropical punch for flavor

CourtneysSweets Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:07am
post #9 of 21

No one really cared for the SMBC.. as neither did I .. they all said the regular buttercream is way better.. I'm going to try Italian Meringue Buttercream.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:28am
post #10 of 21

When I use SMBC, I store left the left over cake in the frig. I take it out a few minutes before serving to allow it to soften up. I don't know. Guess I just feel safer doing it. icon_rolleyes.gif I do enjoy the texture of a room temperature cake, though, so maybe considering the other responses I'll try leaving it out (as long as it's a cool day). icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I've only made my SMBC with vanilla flavoring, and I've gotten raves. I even had a friend swear to me that she doesn't like any type of buttercream. She only likes real whipped cream. Well, I did a cake for her daugher in SMBC, and everyone at the party loved it. She told me she couldn't believe that she herself liked it and that it tasted just like whipped cream (which I took as a compliment), very light and airy. icon_smile.gif

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:38am
post #11 of 21

I've only been using smbc, i call it Italian buttercream. Some people call it Italian meringue buttercream but I'm sure they are all the same thing, the ingredients are all the same...everyone loves it because it's not too sweet. It is very soft so I refrigerate before I fondant it and I tell people to let it sit at room temp for an hour or more before cutting depending on cake size. After reading the posts maybe refrigeration is not needed after all...

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #12 of 21

One of my friends calls it magic icing, because it melts in the mouth!

I have kept mine on the counter, it's fine there.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:44am
post #13 of 21

Italian Meringue BC tastes exactly the same as SMBC... it has all the same ingredients. icon_smile.gif The Italian and the Swiss part refers to how you make the mernigue. If you cook the eggs and sugar together and then make your meringue it's Swiss and if you whip your eggs and add hot sugar it's Italian.

If you thought it tasted like butter I have to ask if you used salted butter. If you did that's the problem. I only use unsalted butter and it never has an in your face butter flavor. The first time I made it I used 1/2 salted and 1/2 unsalted and it still tasted like a stick of butter, but using all unsalted it tastes like vanilla ice cream. You have to add a good amount of flavor too. For a small batch (5 eggs, 1 c sugar, 3-4 sticks of butter) I add at least 2 tsp of vanilla. It makes a big difference. icon_smile.gif

It's not everyone's favorite though so if it's just not your thing do what you love and don't feel bad about it. icon_smile.gif For storage, it's fine overnight on the counter so long as there's nothing else in the cake that could spoil. I usually put it in the fridge and cut off a piece about 20 minutes before I want to serve it. That allows it to soften up. icon_smile.gif

edited for a typo

FromScratch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:53am
post #14 of 21

If the cake hasn't been cut I leave it out (if there's nothing that will spoil in the cake) and once it's cut I always tell people to put it in the fridge.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 21

Good info about the SMBC. I've just always stored the cake in the fridge, even uncut!

CourtneysSweets Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 21

My husband and myself didn't care for the texture.. icon_sad.gif I wanted to like it so badly..

FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:45am
post #17 of 21

It's either you love it or you don't. I *hate* the texture of powdered sugar based icings, so it really depends on your personal preferences. I love the silky smooth texture. It's like whipped cream but it holds up. I think some people have trouble because the texture is like whipped cream and in their minds that should be cold.

Don't feel bad if you don't love SMBC... it gets plenty-o-lovin' from the rest of us.. icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #18 of 21

I wanted to add too that I wouldn't leave it out for more than a couple of days. I store leftovers in the fridge if I will use them soon or the freezer if I won't.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:15am
post #19 of 21

My family dislikes MMF, can't stand American buttercreams. I gave a HUGE sigh of relief when they fell in love with SMBC!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Don't feel bad if you don't love SMBC... it gets plenty-o-lovin' from the rest of us.. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 21

I tried it once and didnt care for it, but I think I used salted butter.
Thanks Jeanne, for clearing that up for me. The way you describe it really makes me want to try it again the right way!
I love Indydebi's buttercream but having another good go-to recipe for variety will be nice...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%