What's Up With The Cc Search?!

Decorating By mo_like_it Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 2:59am by AuntEm

mo_like_it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_like_it Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone else have trouble using the search option? I often try to do a search on a topic I know I have seen discussed on the forum, but then I can never find it when I put it in the search!!! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif Any hints????

9 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 10

Use the search tab on the top left under where it says Cake Decorating Forum, not the search box on the right.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #3 of 10

I agree-I find the search abilities very frustrating. I think it is the biggest weakness of the site.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 10

That's why I post a reply on a topic I like or might want to use in the future, so I can just look it up on "My forum posts" instead. Atleast I don't have to go through cc search and take hours finding it, if I do.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 10

I've always had trouble with the search... but I have a little trick that helps me.

I google topics that I know have been discussed and finish the sentence with 'cakecentral' and usually the forum topic will come up in the google search icon_smile.gif

For example, if I wanted to find the gourmet flavors thread I would simply type:

gourmet flavors cakecentral

and it will come right up!

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 10

i thought it was just me.. for a week+ now, more often than not i cannot get ANY results in the forums when i do a search. i mean, really, NO forum posts for the word "cake" or "black fondant" or "help"??

it is VERY frustrating and leaves no other choice but to start a new thread in hopes someone responds.. & sometimes things don't get answered b/c it's such a redundant question that has been posted a thousand times before!

icon_cry.gif

mo_like_it Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for the responses! icon_smile.gif

Beachcakes, I have never even noticed that search tab! I always try the big one at the top, and never even considered that there might be another one. I don't really understand why there are two ways to search one site, but I'll try it! icon_razz.gif

Panchanewjersy, that's a great idea too, and maybe I'd move up in the forum ranks! icon_biggrin.gif

Alexandrabill, also an idea I hadn't thought of! So glad I decided to post this, even if it was in frustration!!!!! icon_lol.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 10

I gave up on trying to do a search through the site. However, if I want to search for a thread I know I've been on, its SO easy for me! I use Mozilla Firefox for my browser and if I start typing in the title of the thread it comes up. I find it much faster through my browser than I do through the site.

But hopefully CC will try to come up with a better search engine. I think the searches are way to general, they need to come up with a way to narrow it down,

mo_like_it Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #9 of 10

I just tried the small 'search' link on the left-hand side of the page, and it brought up several topics that the big 'search' link at the top did not! I will start from there from now on! Then, I'll go to the search options outside CC. Thanks everyone!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #10 of 10

Yes I have a terrible time with it too. It is really hard to find things. (using the small tab on the forums)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%