What Do You Store Your Tools In?

Decorating By goldenegg Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm by Adria_NyxxTX

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #1 of 18

I'm looking for some ideas on what to store my decorating tools in, they are now taking up way too much cupboard real estate icon_lol.gif

The specialized tool storage cases from the craft stores (mostly by Wilton) seem kinda overpriced for the size, I'd rather spend that much or more on something way larger maybe from Lowes or Home Depot, but I was wondering what everyone else is using. So home bakers, profesh cakers, any and all cake designers, please post your decorating tool storage solutions!

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #2 of 18

A chest-like piece, hard plastic, with 5 clear drawers from Lowes. It's 40" tall, 14" deep, 10" wide. The drawers are deep and pull out very easily. Sits to the side of the hallway closet and takes up essentially no room. One drawer has cutters (in baggies by type of cutter), another drawer has colors and flavors, another has modeling tools, paint brushes.....you get the picture. Love it!

cakesgalore6373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesgalore6373 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #3 of 18

I know exactly what you mean! My husband was kind enough to help me reorganize my kitchen. We took all serving trays and bought large storage containers from Wal-mart and they are in the garage.

My cutters and etc. I bought a plastic container from a fabric store, and those are under one of my cabinets. I have paint brushes and fondant tools in a cute glass sitting in the window sill of my kitchen. I am looking at having more cabinets put in for more storage.

My stoarge area in my kitchen is probably 85% baking supplies.

Hope this helps.

goldenegg Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks for sharing! I was origninally thinking about getting a big tool box (carpenter style) but I really like the idea of drawers so I think I'll go that route. I've never actually been to the Container Store so I'm gonna check it out today, I'll post if I find anything extra neat. Thanks again!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:27am
post #5 of 18

I am all over the place. I have the 5 drawer plastic container that I can roll wherever I need it, the large blue and white kit from Wilton for regulsr CD supplies, bags, etc, plus I have invented a velcro strap I have attached to it to hold a large Wilton tip case strapped to the side. I have the maroon and beige Wilton carry case with fondant tools in it plus one large drawer of pans and another of prepares RI and fondant flowers. I also have a very large rolling tool kit from Home Depot I use for my mixer and supplies when I teach classes. We are planning on adding a pantry to our kitchen so eventually it will all be stored there.

goldenegg Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 18

wow, that's quite a setup, sounds really cool. That would be awesome to have a pantry dedicated to cake! icon_lol.gif Yesterday i went to the container store to see if they had anything ideal, they had a some cool plastic multi-colored pull out drawers but the small ones didn't stack nicely on the large ones (poor engineering?) I'm picky about that so instead I got this big clear plastic chest type thing that has a handle and latches, I got an additional smaller container that has 3 detachable compartments, i put my brushes in one, my powders in another, and smaller tools in another. That plus all my other stuff (including a compressor) fits nicely into the chest with room to grow and it has wheels on the bottom too so i can just roll it to my work area. Once I got home though I realized I needed a couple more different sized containers for random things like tapits, dowels, floral wire, long stuff like that. I think I may end up getting drawers on wheels for this and some other things though, I need more time to think about it icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 18

I use a fishing tackle box. It is a Plano 373 and I got it at Walmart for $40. It is good size, has 4 compartments and three drawers. Two of the compartments are one on top of the other in the top of the box and the other two are one on top of the other on the side. One of the side ones is very deep, so you can put taller items in it such as 4 oz bottles of color. The second one on the side has plastic containers, that come with it. You can make little compartments in them, and I use them to store all of my tips.

The three drawers have dividers in them. I use them to store paint brushes, small patchwork cutters, palette knives, spatulas, among other things. The bottom drawer is deep enough to store one oz bottles of color. You can also stack luster dust two high. The best thing of all is you can close it up, pick it up and carry it anywhere. I think it is one of the best things I ever bought.

I do have other storage units, as most of you do, the plastic drawer and so on, but the tackle box is my most used. Here are some pics.
LL
LL
LL

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 18

I use a scrap book storage suitcase-looking thing I got at Michaels to hold all of my tools. It has tons of little (and large) compartments and pockets that are attached with velcro. Plus, it has a retractable handle and wheels so it's easy to transport. I LOVE it!

It kind of looks like this:
LL

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 18

It's very interesting what everyone uses. detective.gif I myself am starting to run out of room , so I am very interested in this thread.
Great Ideas for storage ladies! thumbs_up.gif Never thought about using a scrapbooking bag, very creative.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 18

Okay....now don't laugh....but here goes.
I have a beautiful Tuscan style kitchen done in golds, reds and black. Ever so neatly tucked in the corner yet still in plain view you will find my double stacked beautiful chrome and red CRAFTSMAN tool box storage. Complete with multiple depth drawers of all sizes and splurged for the nice ball bearing roll-type drawers. It totally rocks!!!!
Small drawers are perfect for tips, tools, dusts. Single layer so there is no digging! Deeper drawers are perfect for cutters, rolling pins airbrush equip, It is even deep enough to hold my turntable!
Got a super great deal on it as they are clearance all the time at Sears.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 18

I use a crafstman tool chest. Actually two of them stacked on top of each other. The top one has a lift up lid, I store my bags, my spatulas and smoothing tools in here, and then three smaller drawers (maybe five inches wide each, but all three make up the width of the chest) under that, one holds my luster dusts another holds my flower nails, then the other one holds the foam rollers for the "melvira" method, then a slide in/out case that I store all my pre made flowers in, then there are three more drawers each the full length of the chest. One drawer holds all my tips and couplers, the next one holds all my flower cutters, then the last one holds all my colorings and airbrush colors. Then the main one has several drawers as well. The top drawer holds my letter presses, tappits, etc., the next one holds my rolls of foil for wrapping boards, cases of sanding sugar and my rollers for the "melvira" method .. the next drawer holds my sugarveil case and my air brush tools ... the next one holds all my candy/fondant molds, some of the larger misc. stuff, the last drawer holds all the cake novelty figurines I have picked up over the years .. one of the cake stores I frequent have "grab bags" and all the stuff I get in those go down into that drawer .. all the plastic toys you would get from a grocery store I guess you could say! I love this set up and would of taken pictures, but the batteries are dead in my camera. This link should take you to the one I have.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0112000B?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage&sName=Chest+%26+Cabinet+Combos

goldenegg Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 18

doh! alright spunkybear now i'm considering taking back my containers and getting one of those, lol! it crossed my mind before but i didn't think they had ones with deep drawers but i didn't really research that option much either and i guess there's all diff kinds... hmm, i'm gonna give it till the weekend, see how i like my current setup and then decide. i love all these ideas though! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 18

Those rolling Rubbermaid carts, and the kind like you see on Food Network cahallenge (sort of) withe the shallow shelf/pans that pull out. Spatula and scrapes on one rack, colors and dusts and airbrush paints on one, luster dusts on one. cake rounds and foam board on one, a couple just for cake pans, a drawer for hot knife, airbrush, tackle boxes for tips and couplers....on and and on

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:51pm
post #14 of 18

I so far have very little stuff (despite what my husband says!) and it's all in the re-claimed linen closet. My tools are in a small, three drawer shelf unit from WalMart, and the rest is on the linen shelves around it.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #15 of 18

Evidently all of you who store your cake suplplies and tools in your kitchens must live in a state where you don't have to have a separate kitchen to bake and do you cakes in - correct?

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 18

I use a tackle box for some, a tool box for others.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 18

I bought a bunch of the scrapbooking storage cubes that are 40% off all the time at Michaels! I LOVE them! There are so many different options and I can add and add and add icon_smile.gif I also have wire racks to store my mixers, SS mixing bowls, bulk ingredients, and other heavy items, and deep shelves to store my edible image printer, my silhouette craft cutting machine (to make stencils), my regular printer, etc.

Here's a picture of my storage cubes (you cant see, but most of the drawers have dividers or additional organization features like dividers):

Sorry it's fuzzy, I took it on my phone a couple of months ago
Oh, I've also gone through since this pic and labeled all the drawers so that I know what's in each one!

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #18 of 18

I want some storage like that, CJ! So organized...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%