I Want To Make These

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm by alwayscake

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 7

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_GnHbahLsnA4/SG08qiG49HI/AAAAAAAAD_M/HMU60zeKIAk/IMG_1540-1.jpg

I made some royal icing butterfly wings, but they didnt look as much like the ones in the pic as I would have liked. I am sure I could figure it out, even if it took a little trial and error, but can anyone tell me how to make them? TIA!

6 replies
marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 7

I can't open the link you send...

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myhannahbananas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myhannahbananas Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 7

What I would do is just take the royal icing in a pastry bag or baggie andmake the wings one by one, once it's dry add any details, then connect the two wings with icing on the top of the cake. Sorry hard to explain but I might have to try them tonight, and then I could explain it better.

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 7

Ok. I got it now.

I don't know about royal icing... It looks like they used flowing royal icing...

I just made a cake with two butterflies that I used melted chocolate. You can check it at my pics.

You just outline the butterfly shape and put in the freezer to get harder. Once is harder you can fill in with the colored melted chocolate. Take it back to the freezer. You keep doing this way, to and back from the freezer. And you can add any details you want.

If I had more patience I would try to make them more detailed, but what I wanted was a simple look anyway.

I think with royal icing you need to let it get kinda dry before putting details. But again, I haven't used royal icing yet. Sorry.

HTH

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 7

Yes like the PP wrote after the wings dry,try to glue them together with RI and allow to dry before you place them on the cake,that way you can actually support the a little if they can't fly on their own.I normally dry amy butterflies in a square pan dusted with ps,so one wing is resting on the side of the pan and the other on the bottom .

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 7

I have done few times royal icing butterfly.

I do the outline with medium stiff RI, and fill with soft RI. The details of the wing can be done either way, while the wings are still wet or or set.
Put under heat lamp couple hours to make them set.

When the wings really dry and can be removed from the wax paper, I line 2 dowels/chopsticks in another wax paper and tape them so they not moving around.

Then I pipe the body, insert the wings to the body, the wings now is supported by the dowels/chopstick.
Insert the antenna if I made them earlier (have to make extra for breakage).
Let them all really dry before attached them to the cake.

HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=725903

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%