My ''superior'' Cake Pans Are Hurting My ''inferior'' Brain.

Decorating By cinderspritzer Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm by cinderspritzer

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 7

So I use Magic Line pans, which I love. Or at least I thought I did. But now I'm discovering a problem that I'm not sure how to fix.

My cake edges are slanted. Or tilted or diagonal or whatever. They're not straight up and down like the edges of my pan. Like, the top of the cake is shrinking, I guess. But the bottom is the right size. Doesn't matter if it's boxed mix or scratch. Doesn't matter if I bake at 325º or 350º. I use a flower nail. I *don't* use those bake even strips because they test my patience and I hate them. I seem to have more trouble with my 3" deep pans than in my 2" pans. Would biting the bullet and using the bake even strips fix it, or am I always going to have to cut the edges of my cake off to get them straight?

Thanks in advance for any advice icon_smile.gif

6 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 7

The only time I have that problem is if they cool too long in the pan. Could that be the cause?

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 7

awhile back someone had mentioned that the cake shrinks like that when they are 'over-baking'. So maybe a rose nail in the middle would help? Mine do that sometimes as well icon_smile.gif you're not alone!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 7

I'd guess the 3" pans are the issue. I can't bake in those things. 2" only for me. But the bottom line is, you're slightly overbaking.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 7

I think the bake even strip would be good or us an old towel and wet that.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 7

I'm a doctored mix girl and have been having that same problem with the DH French Vanilla. I add pudding, sour cream and an extra egg. Same as I've been doing for a couple years. This is the only one I've had trouble with. Very annoying.

Susan

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 7

Hmm. Good to know. Now I have an excuse to get rid of the 3" pans that I hate. Thanks for the help, everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%