Help! Black Scrolls On White Icing, Color Running??!!

Decorating By chica07 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 6:47am by tonedna

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I have all crisco buttercream and have my cake frosted in white. I have the same buttercream in black for the scrolls. I did a cupcake and it looks like the black buttercream is turning the white nearby purple!

Is there any way to prevent this??

THanks!!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #2 of 5

Sounds like you do it the same way I do ... crisco recipe and same recipe for both colors.

did you let the white icing crust first? If you put wet on wet, they will blend. But I put black scrolls on white crusted icing with no problems. here's a pic: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300981

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #3 of 5

Debi- thanks so much!! I do all crisco, some flour and ps (oh and the flavorings). I live in the most humid city ever, so I have to add tons of ps to make it crust!

When I did my little test on the cupcake first, I did not let it crust, great plan. I will do that! That cake you showed was great, btw!

THANK YOU!!!! saved me a huge headache and some sleep tonight!

Chica

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:33am
post #4 of 5

Chica-
I also live in a very humid area and have had color bleeding issues. I did a cake last night with black on white and tried something new. I let the white crust (like debi said) first but I also added a little meringue powder and water to the black BC. It made it set up faster and when I delivered it (7 hours later) there was no color bleeding. Might work for you, too.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:47am
post #5 of 5

It could be the color you are using.. I dont let mine crust and it doesnt bleed. But for sometime I was using a black from a not well known company and use to bleed all the time. I went to a show and
spoke with the people from chefmasters about this, and they say their colors are made so they dont bleed

Long story short..I never had anymore problems with bleeding colors..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%