How To Stop Domed Cupcakes?

Baking By amyscuppycakes Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 11:19am by EyeCandy

amyscuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyscuppycakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

All my cupcakes keep going a domed shape and some are cracking. I adjust the oven temp for my fan assisted oven but it's not helping. Sometimes I don't mind it but my last cupcake batch I used poured fondant so had to cut the top off the cupcakes! What do you do to stop this?
LL

4 replies
EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 5

Most people WANT the dome... icon_lol.gif

The only suggestion I have is to not fill your cups as high, maybe try 1/2 instead and see how the outcome is. If I fill mine to 3/4 or more I usually get a dome, 1/2 or less I get a nice even top. It could be the oven too though so you'll just need to experiment.

Another thing, is there such a thing as using too much baking powder or soda for the rise?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 5

Ok - when I want a flat cupcake, I just put it in the preheated oven at 350. There is hardly a dome at all. When I want a domed cupcake, I start the oven at 400 and then when I'm ready to put the cupcakes in, I turn it down to 350.

Hope this helps!

amyscuppycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyscuppycakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:01am
post #4 of 5

I do like the dome look too but it's not always a welcomed look when I'm using poured fondant icon_sad.gif

Thanks for your suggestions icon_smile.gif

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #5 of 5

Completely understood! I was just teasing since I always see so many threads on here about getting a dome. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%