Please Help--Calling All Shortening-Based Bc Decorators...

Decorating By elvis Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm by tiggy2

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 8

Hi--needing advice please!---I have a pretty elaborate, tiered birthday cake for tomorrow. I always use all butter buttercream frosting, but this party is going to be outside, with the cake under a picnic shelter for a few hours, with the high around 75 (not super hot...but hotter than I expected & just enough to make me worry)

After a cake disaster last summer, I decided that this summer I would switch to all shortening for the hot months...just wasn't expecting it to be so soon...and with this being a last minute change of plan, I'm a little nervous.

Couple of questions--

First, am I right that shortening bc would hold up better? I can't switch to fondant at this point--no experience.

Second, does shortening bc get hard in the fridge (I'm hoping so for transport reasons but wasn't sure)

Third, does hot-knife method work with shortening bc? I'm having anxiety over smoothing with icing I'm not used to but may just have to get over it!

Thanks for any advice!!!

7 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 8

I use SugarShacks recipe with Sweetex and have never had a problem with melting. yes, the hot knife method works just fine on it.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 8

Oh, and no it doesnt get hard in the fridge but I dont even refrigerate it if I'm planning to use it within a week. Its fine out on the counter.

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 8

i used butter cream recipe for my frosting ( shortening ) and i notice in the summer weather it doesnt hold up so stick mines in the fridge over 24 hrs hold up and i make it a lil stiffer but managable , it not just use fondant , but u should be fine , dont forget to use the meregine ( spell wrong that egg powder stuff ) powder that helps too

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 8

I use the less sweet buttercream from CC. It has sour cream in it. I'm pretty sure it would hold up fine in 75 degrees. I smooth mine with the viva towels. I don't think I would refrigerate. It might help marginaly to firm the frosting but then you have to worry about condensation. Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 8

If you're going to use hi-ratio shortening, it has a higher melting point than regular shortening or butter, so you should be in great shape.

I often use 1/2 butter+1/2 hi-ratio, or even 1/4 butter+3/4 hi-ratio, and it gets hard in the fridge or freezer and holds up great in warm weather. It smooths beautifully with a hot knife.

If you're using shortening with no trans-fats (crisco or other), you could have problems with it staying too soft and sliding on the cake.

HTH
Rae

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you, thank you for your replies!! I know it was a long post!--

Blakescakes, I wish I had hi-ratio shortening...I'm going to have to order online so that I have it for next time. I do have a generic brand shortening that does have trans-fat. That's about as close as I can get to hi-ratio.

Keeping my fingers crossed...but at least I feel better now. Thanks!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

indydebi's bc recipe holds up well in the heat, taste good and crusts wonderfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%