Help!!!!! Buttercream Won't Set Up Or Crust Right

Decorating By tirechic Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 3:37am by georgiapuddinpie

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 9

Ok, I tried a new recipe for butter cream. I usually use shortening and this one called for butter. It is exactly like my recipe save the butter. So its loose, or thin, or just plain just not thick hardly at all. I added ps and it helped a little, so i added more, but that didnt work. Help!! What did i do wrong, it is a standard recipe for butter cream. It looks awful, and i have been waiting for the crust to set up, and its only about half what it should be, 3 hours later. I really dont know how to fix this, any help would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:03am
post #2 of 9

did you use any shortening in it?? Butter alone makes it way too soft, unless your making IMBC. can you scrape it off and make some with half shortening half butter?

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 9

In my experience, recipes with butter are softer and don't crust as much as recipes with only shortening. As pp said, try making it half butter and half shortening. You may also want to add some merengue powder.

tirechic Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 9

well, i will have to do that next time, i put it in the fridge and now its doing ok, just need it for pics, but now not sure how it will look when im done. Would u mind if i pm you?

tirechic Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 9

sorry computers delayed, and yes i used mp, it seems to be ok now, been in fridge for an hour, and now sitting out, could just melt, dont know, chalk this up to a learning experience. So next time use half butter and half shortening? I was just trying to get a richer buttercream, lol, yeah melts in your mouth and in your hands.

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #6 of 9

Usually I use only butter when I'm trying to make a non-crusting buttercream. I let it sit in the fridge a while, then when it's a bit more stiff I can work with it a bit, but that doesn't last long and then I have to put it back in when it gets soft again, so work fast when you take it out. I haven't had a problem with melting as long as it's not in a very warm location.

Yes, next time do half and half. It tastes better than just the shortening but is more stable. It's still a bit softer than the all-shortening recipe, but it does crust up enough to smooth it. Sometimes I'll put it in the fridge too (for just a few minutes) to help it along a bit.

tirechic Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 9

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who replied, not just here whenever you reply. I am still new to this, and learning. I really do take all input to heart, and use it, I grew up with my grandparents and learned along time ago, that everyone, and i mean everyone has something to give, so i take it and use it. Again, thank you. Still alittle miffed at my cake, but at least it cant yell back.

tirechic Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9

Sweetcakes, would it be ok for me to pm you, we are within 100 miles of each other, and i would love to come by your shop, you are quite talented.

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:37am
post #9 of 9

I am going through the same thing. Used a recipe with a lot of butter, does have some crisco but I live in south Georgia (hot and humid) and the icing seems to be sort of melting and separating. It's my first wedding cake too icon_cry.gif . Oh well, at least it is family and I am doing it for cost of ingredients. I would feel really bad if it was a paying customer. Feel bad enough now. Anyway, I am feeling your pain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%