How Do I Say This Nicely?

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 12:34am by Kimosabi

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 50

My husbands distant relative, whom I have never met, just sent me an email asking me If I would price match if she found cupcakes cheaper. She said she would rather give her business to someone she knows. How do I explain, politely, that I don't price match?

49 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 50

Ok, it's a trick question,right? 'Coz you said 'Politely" and I'm kinda weak on thank attribute! icon_biggrin.gif

"Dear cousin who I never see or hear from unless you want something .... I'm not a flea market. My prices are my prices based on my expenses. I do not even try to compete with big box bakery grocery stores who get their cakes shipped in frozen at a cost below what any custom cake designer can even THINK about getting. Thanks for thinking of me and have a great time planning your cake!"

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 50

Just thank her for considering you and say that your prices are firm because of your expenses. Tell her she is paying for your experience and talent and you are worth every penny.

KrazyK8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyK8 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #4 of 50

I don't have any advice for you because I'm not too great at being polite. I just wanted to let you know that your cakes are BEAUTIFUL!

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ok, it's a trick question,right? 'Coz you said 'Politely" and I'm kinda weak on thank attribute! icon_biggrin.gif

"Dear cousin who I never see or hear from unless you want something .... I'm not a flea market. My prices are my prices based on my expenses. I do not even try to compete with big box bakery grocery stores who get their cakes shipped in frozen at a cost below what any custom cake designer can even THINK about getting. Thanks for thinking of me and have a great time planning your cake!"

I agree, LOL!!! And I absolutely love you debi. I so enjoy reading any thread that you post on, along with a few others because I know I'll get a good laugh, no matter what the subject is.

Just say, "sorry, I don't price match", and if she really wants you (someone she knows) to do it, then she'll want to pay your price for it.

Ashley

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 50

Well.... I tend to respond more like Indydeb but, there is always the ol' go to "Sorry...... but I'm just too booked and won't/don't have the time.....ever.....like never......"price match" pah!" or something like that.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 50

LOVE INDIDEB!

I would say Sure I will price match and use the same crappy products as they do. Oh and I can do a crappy job too! WOW I can save a lot of money on you thank you for thinking of me.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyK8

I just wanted to let you know that your cakes are BEAUTIFUL!

Big, fat, giant DITTO! Your cakes are UN-bee-leeve-a-bull!!!! I don't care how much you charge, I'd pay you three times what you ask - your work is stunning!

And any relative you've never met or heard from before has a lot of nerve calling and asking something like that. I'd do what someone else suggested - tell her your costs dictate that you charge what you charge and you can't afford to undersell yourself. It's a matter of simple economics.

<relatives, UGH!>

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 50

Haha, Indydebi, how i wish i could say that!!
I guess I'll just state it plainly!
Thanks everyone for your complements too. I appreciate it!

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

Haha, Indydebi, how i wish i could say that!!
I guess I'll just state it plainly!
Thanks everyone for your complements too. I appreciate it!

icon_lol.gif It's what we refer to as "Arguments with the bathroom mirror" ... you know .. it's the argument that you ALWAYS win! Things we wish we could say, but we have to get them out of our system anyway. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 50

Don't ya just love "distant relatives that we've never met?" icon_rolleyes.gif

Gotta give it to this one though......."price match", a creative way of trying to name her price.

My e-mail response would be........

Dear __________
My custom cupcakes start at $x.xx (insert some ridiculous price here) I don't participate in price matching.
Good luck, hope to meet you one day!

icon_biggrin.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #12 of 50
Quote:

Yep, that sounds polite to me!

serendipitysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serendipitysweets Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #13 of 50

Could you say something like " sorry I don't price match but I do offer X% discount for repeat customers or X% discount for every X amount of people you refer to me" that way you're "helping" her out but still bringing in business for yourself!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #14 of 50
Quote:

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the subject was Indy need not apply--and you're the first poster!! lol icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #15 of 50

Ah, k8, I luv ya! You know me too well! icon_lol.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #16 of 50

I started not to post at all cause debi said it all. Don't you just love it! icon_wink.gif Price Match.....really?? icon_confused.gif .....relatives.....And the thing is they think they are doing YOU a favor! icon_twisted.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:27am
post #17 of 50

To make it polite, just start with "I appreciate your thinking of me and wanting to do business locally. However, ..."

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:49am
post #18 of 50

Ummmm does she think u work for Walmart? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:03am
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

My husbands distant relative, whom I have never met, just sent me an email asking me If I would price match if she found cupcakes cheaper. She said she would rather give her business to someone she knows. How do I explain, politely, that I don't price match?

I'm sorry, but that justfreaking offends me to the enth degree. She knows you make a far superior product, and wants to get it at a cheap a$$ price cuz you are sort of related by a quirk in the family tree. BS!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:03am
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiezNCupcakez

HA! Even Walmart doesn't price match! icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:33am
post #21 of 50

You have to give her points for coming up with a new way to say "I want YOUR cake, but I'm paying Walmart prices."

"Thank you for thinking of me. I offer 10% off my regular prices of $_____ for family. I don't price match." You just know if you say yes, she will find those cuppies, were they cuppies?, at $.25 cents each.

You can be polite, just be firm.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:14am
post #22 of 50

I feel sorry for you second cousin twice removed by marriage on your fathers step brothers side, cause if she is lucky enough to book she should be willing to pay your price cause you cakes ROCK!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:32am
post #23 of 50

It's just so annoying how some people can be.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:58am
post #24 of 50

Why don't you just say "I have given you the absolute best price I can. I won't be offended if you want to go with someone else but I just can't go any lower on the price." (If you will be offended, leave off the second sentence.) It's funny how the people you want to help and do something on the cheap for are never the ones that want you to because they know they're taking the money out of your pocket.

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:15am
post #25 of 50

Your cakes are to pretty to discount. icon_wink.gif
I hope you tell her thanks but no thanks

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiezNCupcakez

HA! Even Walmart doesn't price match! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess they do only in Canada

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #27 of 50

Y'know I been thinking about this & I still would just say:

'No, sorry, I don't do that.'

That's about as nice as I could get for a stranger, related or not.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #28 of 50

OR... rub her nose in it...

"Price match is impossible because it is really a quality issue. A diamond is not just a diamond if it has big flaws--- each one different based on quality. For cakes- you cannot compare quality, fresh ingredients baked fresh for an individual order and custom decorated to a warehouse frozen and squirted on frosting cake. Yes, I know Sam's Club cupcakes are 50 cents.... but I don't make Sam's Club cupcakes, and don't want to. And mine are not 50 cents....

Have a wonderful event, and let me know if you want a quote. My base price is $____. "

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #29 of 50

I hate when people do things like this. Acting like she is doing you a favor by ALLOWING you to make her cupcakes. Here is my opinion....you don't owe her anything. So what if she is barely related to you!!! I honestly feel that if you don't have an established relationship with her, then take her lead. If she feels that she can treat you like she would any other business, then you should treat her like any other customer.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 50

I' m thinking maybe, just maybe she was hoping you would offer free cake because she's a relative....and you have never met her???????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%