Fondant

Decorating By margaret5 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 11:43am by pastryjen

margaret5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaret5 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 8

I've never worked with fondant. I am going to do a graduation cake with stars on floral wire. Also, how do I attach the stars to the fondant? The colors are red and black stars. Should I buy the fondant or should I make it? How far in advance do I need to make the stars? Also, How to tint the fondant. Or should I make the stars out of royal icing? Any advice would be very helpful. You can probably tell I know nothing about fondant.

7 replies
SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:17am
post #2 of 8

You can either make or buy your fondant. Fondant comes precolored or white, so you can choose it you want to color it yourself. Cut our your stars thin but thick enough that you can insert the wire. make sure you are using cloth covered wire and wet it before you insert it.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 8

I personally would buy the fondant precolored. I have tried to make fondant red and black, and it takes SO much coloring gel. Then it can start to get sticky when you use too much. You can get 2 pound buckets for pretty cheap online, or if you have a local decorating supply store(my Michael's doesn't carry it colored). Either use cloth covered wire or floral tape to stick into the cake. Or you can put a small styrofoam circle on top of the cake and stick the wires in there instead of in the cake itself. As for the stars, roll them kinda thick, and let them harden (with the wires in them) before you try to put them on the cake. You can make them anywhere from a week to a few days in advance!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #4 of 8

If you decide to purchase premade fondant, be sure to taste test before you make your cake.

Most people find Wilton fondant absolutely disgusting to eat but great to work with.

I purchased fondant once and it was black liquorice flavoured.

Good luck!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 8

ewww..pastryjen...I didn't even know they made flavored colored fondant. I HATE black licorice flavor. Bleh. I would have tried to send it back!

Agreed, wilton is pretty gross. Satin Ice is yummy though.

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 8

If all you're using the fondant for is the stars, I say use royal icing instead. If, however, you're going to ice the whole cake in fondant, do order it colored - Satin Ice is reasonably priced and tastes good, and it's way too much work to try to color red and black yourself. Do everything you can to avoid using the craft store brand - it always , and I mean ALWAYS tastes rancid.

Good luck - I hope you post pictures when you get it done!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:21am
post #7 of 8

Before making it for the first time, I would suggest to buy one first. That way you learn how is supposed to feel before going and trying to make it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

ewww..pastryjen...I didn't even know they made flavored colored fondant. I HATE black licorice flavor. Bleh. I would have tried to send it back!

It was actually white fondant! icon_confused.gif

The only good thing was, by fluke, I was making a huge licorice allsort.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%