What Is German Chocolate?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 12:39am by indydebi

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a German chocolate cake for my dad's birthday. The recipe calls for "4 squares of sweet German chocolate". I looked in the baking section of my grocery store, but didn't see any German chocolate. Do any of you know what type of chocolate I should use?

3 replies
mashmellow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashmellow Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I like german chocolate, and I bought it some times to make cakes, I go to World Market, the thing is there are a few kinds some are like milk chocolate, and others are more dark-bitter , I reed the label,the brand of german chocolate I use is "LAICA" is a sweet chocolate

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 4

Apparently, German chocolate cakes are make with Baker's German chocolate (named after Mr. German the man that invented it) not the country. I can't find Baker's German chocolate squares and I am wondering what type of chocolate it is most like (milk chocolate or semi sweet)?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #4 of 4

YOu are correct .. it is so called "german" after Mr. German, the man who invented a chocolate with the sugar already in it. It's a sweet chocolate ( go to www.ask.com and enter "what is german chocolate?" and you'll get lots of info.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%