Suggestions On Making Cake That Looks Like A Strip Of Bacon

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm by perfectcakebyshirley

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 7

I had a request for a groom's cake that looks like a strip of bacon. Any suggestions on making it look more realistic than cartoonish? I was thinking perhaps strips of fondant, but other than that, I'm at a loss.

6 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

If it's going to be a cake that looks like a giant bacon slice, it may be hard to get away from that cartoonish feel. Maybe use some piping gel to give it that "shiny/greasy" look? Good luck!

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:54am
post #3 of 7

Hi, I haven't really got any great tips to give you, but I have found some 'meat cakes' that I think look pretty realistic! Sorry only one of them is bacon (from the Ace of Cakes), but thought the steaks could give you an idea on the 'fatty' bit of the bacon!

Hope it helps! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll try icing, rather than fondant.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 7

Wow anabelz01 those pics are awesome. sweigl make sure to post pics of your cake when you finish. I would love to see it. icon_wink.gif

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 7

cheers dmhart... I found one of them on cake wrecks under the heading 'eat with your eyes closed' which made me chuckle! I've not yet had an utterly weird cake request myeslf.. can't wait till I do! hehe

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 7

I'll post a picture when I make this cake - it's not till Oct, though! I'm trying to figure out how I'd do it so that I can work up a price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%