Has Anyone Seen This Cookbook??

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm by bonniebakes

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 15

Hi y'all!! I'm always in the market for a great new cookbook and this one looks very intriguing, but it just came out last week and there are no reviews for it. It has to do with ratios used in cooking. Has anyone seen it and if so what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1416566112/?tag=cakecentral-20

14 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 15

hi...sorry cant help you...never seen it.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 15

I haven't seen this one, but I've read a couple other of Michael Ruhlman's books. He's spent a lot of time with top professional chefs, observing and writing about them, attended and extensively wrote about his experiences at CIA. He's popped up on "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain - the Cleveland and the Las Vegas episodes. He tends to be very analytical about what the great chefs do right.

I would say it's probably worth taking a gamble on and getting.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 15

It looks pretty cool. Ratios are the key to cooking. If you remember the ratio of something you never need a recipe. I would check out your library first, and see if they have it.

Mike

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 15

Ruhlan is selling a wall chart in conjunction with his book. He talks about it and the book on his blog.. http://ruhlman.typepad.com/

I has basic ratios for differnt types of baked goods. They are starting places for experimenting with various recipe ratios. It will be more science than a recipe book.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 15

icon_smile.gif Haven't seen it but it certainly puts a new twist (to me) on the fine art of cooking.

My daughter just recently thanked me again for teaching her: 2+2+1 for basic cream sauce! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anntee

icon_smile.gif Haven't seen it but it certainly puts a new twist (to me) on the fine art of cooking.

My daughter just recently thanked me again for teaching her: 2+2+1 for basic cream sauce! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Hey Anntee, teach us that cream sauce -- it sounds interesting! icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 15

I am assuming (and Anntee please correct if I am wrong!) she means that it is the general ratio of butter to flour to cream.

2t butter
2t flour
1 cup cream

or doubled...
4t butter
4t flour
2 cups cream

salt, pepper, etc. to taste...

edited for typo

edited again for instructions:
Step 1
Melt butter in sauce pan on low heat so butter doesn't burn.
Step2
Add flour. Stir with whisk until smooth and creamy.
Step3
Add milk/cream and stir. Turn heat up to medium high heat. Cook for about 3 minutes while continuing to whisk.
Step4
Add salt and pepper to taste.

*Note: I actually use half and half... good compromise between cream and milk.
This is a great base for so many sauces. I add Romano for a great, quick Alfredo-style to throw over pasta.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 15

This is just the type of book I am looking for. I wanted to create master mixes for different baked goods. That chart is exactly what I need.

Does anyone know how to increase a picture in Word? I tried it in Paint, but it got all fuzzy.

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 15

That's right, Win. But note:

2 T . butter
2 T. flour
1 c. milk or cream (or half 'n half)

(Tablespoons - not teaspoons)

You're absolutely right - it's a great base. icon_smile.gif [/u]

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 15

Looks very interesting. I added it to my "Buy in future" list.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 15

Anntee: icon_redface.gif totally know that! I forgot to hit my CAP key and even usually type it out as TBL. Sorry, hope no one tried it for dinner tonight! TABLESPOONS, T, TBL...

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

This is just the type of book I am looking for. I wanted to create master mixes for different baked goods. That chart is exactly what I need.

Does anyone know how to increase a picture in Word? I tried it in Paint, but it got all fuzzy.

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa have you seen the Make A Mix books?? They have master recipes with variations in them. I have the two older books which are very good. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0762426020/?tag=cakecentral-20

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 15

Well I spent the afternoon at Barnes and Noble and ended up buying this book. It is more of a "science of cooking" type book but a lot of the things he says make a lot of sense. I'm eager to try some of his recipes and see what happens. If nothing else he has a lot of interesting info on the science of baking which I find interesting anyway. Will keep y'all posted!! icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 15

Can't wait to hear what you think - and if you think it's worth getting. I have it in my Amazon cart, but haven't purchased it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%