Gp Roses-First Time Trying

Decorating By michellesArt Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 2:12am by Cake_Mooma

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 13

i'm doing a wedding in october and the bride wants more realistic (i usually stick to ribbon) roses so i tested some out and would like some fellow ccer's opinions/advice/tips...to improve them (or they're fine as is?) other than the obvious practice hehe that would be great thanks in advanced!! icon_biggrin.gif 'kay my pic won't attach so i'll post in my pics (sorry)

12 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 13

fist of all, they do look great. i think the main thing would be to try and get the petals a bit thinner.
xx

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 13

Nicely done for you first time! I would also try to make the petals a bit thinner. Have you watched Edna's tutorial on youtube? I found it SUPER helpful. I would also try to have the 2 center petal wrapped more tighly around the cone, I think it just makes it a little more realistic. But I think you did an amazing job!

pouchet82 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 13

You can always come cross the Quebec border and we can play with gp together!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 13

Hi Michelle! Are your roses dusted with a lustre dust? They look wet/glossy? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just curious about your technique icon_smile.gif

Have you tried using a 5-petal cutter? When I was starting out on GP roses, I found it useful.

Basic tips for GP flowers is to roll your GP until it is translucent, ie really thin. Cut with a sharp cutter if using one, to avoid furry edges. Use a balling tool and a dogbone to cup and then flare out each petal. And, like the above poster mentioned, wrap your first two petals firmly around your cone so you can't see it.

I think your first attempts are marvellous, dahling!

- Eve

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 13

I think your roses are fab. I just made my first roses also this week-end for Easter using dark chocolate fondant and I was able to roll it pretty thin. I think thats the key to a more realistic look, but yours are really pretty.

michellesArt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 13

thanks everyone for the tips-i did after i posted this remember about edna (FANTASTIC video holy crow!!) i did dust them after. so now thanks for the positive feedback and i will try again, thinner and a little tighter around the cone/center. and pouche i'd love to come play hehe (i just don't have a car-maybe we can figure something out)

pouchet82 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 13

Make sure to post pics of the next roses, can't wait to see them! I'm sure they will be super fabulous!
-Carly

michellesArt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 13

2nd try should be in my pics now-thanks again for all the encouragement (this are a big step up-can't wait for the bride to see these one) icon_smile.gif

pouchet82 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 13

Holy cow Michelle, those are awesome!!! Do you not feel like an expert after Edna's tutorial?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 13

I honestly think your roses are excellent. I haven't attempted the gp roses yet. Hope mine come out half as good as yours. Congratulations, great job!!

michellesArt Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 13

not so scary after all with edna's help whoo hoo!!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #13 of 13

Ok where do I begin?

First I am not a roses expert by no means but I bought one of the best videos ever, one of our very own, Michelle Foster's video. When I first started making roses they looked like cabbages. Yours are wonderful.

So a year later and a Whole lotta roses later. I think I can make an ok rose.

first, like the previous posters I would roll fondant thinner and would wrap a couple of petals around the cone, which brings me to the cone. I would make the cone a little thinner at the tip, this way you can wrap the petal around the cone with a more realistic look.

Also add a little texture to the petal. just roll very lightly on each petal and then wrap around the base.

Oh and lastly, I learned from Michelle F. how to make my roses without any cutters at all and I find that it gives the rose a more natural look. Look in my photos and you will see some of the last cakes that I made using Michelle's video. They look very different compaired to the ones that I made the first time.

I hope this helps some.

Bea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%