Butter Cream Box Cake With Fondant Lid

Decorating By StellaLuna Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm by sugarshack

StellaLuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StellaLuna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #1 of 8

I am looking for someone who has done this! I have a request for a bunch of Tiffany boxes but the she hates fondant! I am thinking the only way to do this is put a fondant lid on the box! I am not sure how to make a butter cream lid? Has anyone did this before? If so, please explain how and send photos! If you have iced a cake in butter cream and added a fondant lid/bow, please share the mishaps or cautions with me so I know what I am in for! Please attach photos as well. I have to make at least 12 boxes and I want them to look stunning! Thanks for all your help!

7 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #2 of 8

I just did this one last week. I chilled the buttercream well and then added fondant. I then trimmed it off to look like a lid. Or you could make the lids out of gumpaste panels and add them to the buttercream.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1344408

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 8

I find when I try to match colors in 2 different mediums (ie butttercream and fondant) you can never get an exact match of color. They are always a shade or two "off". I think I would do the entire box in fondant. They can always pull it off the cake when they go to eat it. I find more and more people actually like fondant, so they may just leave it on!

I'd love to see pictures when your done! icon_biggrin.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 8

Stella,
Don't worry it is not as complicated as it sounds. I have done this before. I am sending you to my website gallery there are a lot of pics of bc cakes with fondant bows. http://www.sweetaddictions.biz/portfolio/Celebration_Cakes/index.htm
When I get to work, I will post more pics.
The biggest problem I have with fondant is refrigeration. Fondant doesn't like to be refrigerated, but I use IMBC and usually refrigerate my cakes. I have left a fondant bow too long in the fridge (10 hours) and it has collapsed and turned into a gooey mess. I usually do the bows about 1-2 hours prior to pick-up.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know when you need these cakes but sugarshack's "Boxes & Bows" DVD takes you step by step through a buttercream box cake with a fondant lid and bow. This DVD is worth every penny!

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 8

How about using dyed white chocolate clay. I love using chocolate clay and it is pretty easy to work with. You just need corn syrup and chocolate. I used it to wrap my Chocolate Berry Tower cake in my gallery. I've never dyed it before, but don't think it would be a problem at all and it is very tasty!!!

Let me know if you would like to try and I would be more than happy to post the recipe.

Good Luck!!

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 8

Actually, I think you can even use the blue candy melts sold at Michaels for the blue Tiffany shade rather than tinting the white chocolate...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

i have done many BC cakes with fondant lids. I do not do BC lids . You can see them in my gallery. U can mke the lids using an overlay right onto the cake, or make dried panels ahead of time and assemble the lid right on the cake.

Thanks tiggy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%