Poly Plasti Florist Foil??? Do You Use?

Decorating By cakesbykk Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 8:51am by cakesbykk

cakesbykk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykk Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:32am
post #1 of 3

I used the poly plasti florist foil all the time many years ago for covering my cake boards.
I have read in some catalogs that it is not FDA approved.
I never had any issues in the past and don't really understand the reasoning being that it is covered in plastic and have had other people tell me they have used it with food no problems...
Just curious if anyone else uses it without issues? ..and if something changed with the product as why we shouldn't use now? icon_cool.gif

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:45am
post #2 of 3

Countrykitchensa.com sells poly plastic florist foil for covering cakeboards (but advises that it is not FDA approved for food use) and recommends a parchment barrier be placed between the cake and the foil covering the cakeboard:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=595&SubCatId=100

HTH

cakesbykk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykk Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:51am
post #3 of 3

I read that in their catalog which cause my concern. I had used in many years ago and never heard of any FDA issues. I called the company and was told the reason they just haven't sought FDA approval since they are a florist company. Also, the enviornment in which the product is made would not be considered as safe for food...I did ask if the colors contained lead if that was the issue and was told they are water based. Long story short I believe there is not a problem using it...it is a matter of getting caught up in a lawsuit if something were to happen...and that is not worth the risk. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%