Fondant Colouring Question...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 14 May 2009 , 1:12am by krissycupcakes

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 9

Hey guys, I new to this forum thingo and this has prob been done before but the search thing isn't making it easy for me lol So i have used white fondant before and i have also done a doll cake with a very blue fondant dress (but that wasn't eaten and just for practice) that i had to put a fair amount of colour into, but i was just wondering if I at one time wanted to cover a cake in e.g. rich red or very blue fondant or any other rich colour, would it stain your mouth and teeth when you ate it? And does it apply to buttercream too? And how bad does it stain?

I have heard about this here and there but not sure if it is just certain colours like reds and blacks (know to start with chocolate fondant with this colour). Hope that makes sense, and any help to this question would be appreciated thanks!

8 replies
cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 9

Not sure about fondant but red buttercream stains. I made an Elmo cake and everyone was walking around with red mouths. I'm putting red fondant on a cake for this weekend. I'll let you know although someone else will probably answer before that.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

lol..the funny part about red is when you think you are bleeding internally..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 9

lol yeh i kinna want to avoid using red for a whole cake but i would like to try it atleast once especially with fondant, just wanna know how the outcome would go lol

Maybe for the red buttercream i could start with a strawberry buttercream to limit the colour? I also read somewhere that you can use maraschino cherry juice as your liquid in your fondant to limit the use on the red colour, except don't know about the taste and don't know how that would go with MMF.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 9

I had blue lips and teeth from my baby shower cake and....
What goes in must come out!
I must say I was shocked
icon_eek.gif

Elise87 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #6 of 9

ok to save making a new topic i am gonna bring life back to this one hopefully lol

My question is about the Wilton Colormist Spray. We know that lots of the darker colours may make the icing taste bitter, so if i wanted to spray my cake with the black Colormist Spray, is it going to taste aweful, or since it is only a thin layer it should be ok?

Can guess my teeth arn't gonna look good afterwards lol

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 9

The taste is not bad at all with the colormist sprays, however, the coverage with the black is terrible - more of a blotchy dark gray that looks awful!! Best to go with a chocolate base and add minimal black. Very easy to get black that way, with an awesome taste (thats what they tell me - don't like chocolate myself - Coming from cake muggles, the comments on taste are very important!) icon_biggrin.gif If you let your black BC or fondant sit overnite, the color deepens very nicely and black really looks black.
Now as for the red... hmmmm, I have tried using kool aid for a red base, works excellently, BUT - flavor is a big issue!! Must be sure you want fruit flavored frosting! icon_smile.gif

eta: No black teeth either!! icon_lol.gif

Elise87 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #8 of 9

oh ok lol Yeh i have made a small batch of black before using the choc i was just hoping to save myself some time and gel paste but if the spray gonna look horrible then i best go the long road then lol

I am gonna do red too but i am only doing that for decorations so if it taste grose people can just take that off lol

Thanks for advice icon_biggrin.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #9 of 9

i find if you dye your fondant red and then once its on the cake you hit it with another coat of red painted on it the color is stronger with out useing so much food coloring

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%