Cheesecake Reaffirming My Suspicions I Shouldn't Bake....

Decorating By cinderspritzer Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm by Mike1394

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 10

I made the Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl cheesecake recipe from the WBH book this morning. I followed the recipe exactly the way it said, with my ingredients all at room temperature and baking it in a water bath at 350º for 75 minutes. When I took it out, the top was set. I left it in the pan on a cooling rack on the counter for 2 hours.

The problem came when I flipped it onto my plate. The cookie crust cracked, and the insides started oozing out. The top was done like normal cheesecake but the inside was... I guess like melting ice cream. When I cut it, it oozed out all over the plate. Not done at all.

So now the whole thing is in the trash and I'm disgusted. Anyone have any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

9 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not familiar with this particular recipe, but I ALWAYS chill my cheesecakes a few hours or overnight before flipping them out of their pans. Cheesecakes are very sturdy when chilled, but at room temp they're usually soft and creamy (it is, after all, a cheese custard). I would suggest chilling overnight and then when you are ready to unmold, run a knife around the cake and give it a quick dip in a pan of hot water (or a hit with a propane torch) before flipping out.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 10

I make cheesecake often and after cooking for the required time, I turn the oven off, open the oven door and leave the cheesecake in the oven for at least one hour which allows it to set up. I then move it to the refrigerator (if it's warm outside). There's something about keeping it in the oven that extra time that sets it. I, also, am not familiar with your recipe but most cheesecakes have the same basic ingredients. Don't give up!!!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 10

I don't do well with large cheesecakes either. Have you thought about trying miniature ones or ones the size of cupcakes. I don't have a problem with these ones at all.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 10

I agree...I make a lot of cheesecake and they really do need to sit in the fridge for as long as possible. The cheesecakes I make for customers are made the day before and refrigerated at least overnight or longer if possible. The flavors blend better too, the linger they sit.

Sorry this happened to you, I know how upset I get when something that costs a lot of money in ingredients doesn't turn out. I hope it turns out next time!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 10

I have the done the same as above with one other differece...when I make cheesecake or bread pudding, I do not bake in a water bath. I find it totally changes the texture, consistancy and even taste. This is stricly my opinion, as I know there are tons of recipes that call for a water bath baking method. I bake and use an entire cheesecake as a center layer of my chocolate cakes, and aftere 24 hours of refrigeration, it is very easy to maneuver. Keep trying...you will get it!!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with everything PinkZiab said. You can even freeze the cake overnight and then hit it with a torch. That is what I usually do. Flip it out onto a plastic wrap-covered cake round and then flip it back onto another board for serving. The plastic wrap will prevent the frozen custard from sticking to the board when you flip it out. I also line the pan bottom (I use a springform) with parchment. That might help prevent any cracking that was caused by sticking.

Cheesecakes can be tricky, but don't give up. These tips should help you have success. thumbs_up.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 10

I also failed to mention that, like Debbie, I don't use a water bath when baking. I've never used one for my cheesecakes and have been making them for----uh, well over 25 years. Wow, that one hurts!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 10

okeydokey. thanks for the suggestions everyone. i knew i should have put that damn thing in the fridge, but the book didn't say to so i didn't. oh well. icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 10

Toss the timer, bake until center is 165F.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%