Wilton Course 1 Class 2 Help

Decorating By ancameni Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm by katiedug

ancameni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ancameni Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

Hello, I am new to this forum and have been searching it but could not find an answer. I started the Wilton Course 1 and my class 2 is approaching. I have made the cake and frosted it with the class frosting in thin consistency.
My dilemma is, how much frosting to i need to bring to class. The paper our instructor gave us said, 1 1/2 c medium consist., 1 cup stiff consist., and 1/2 thin consistency with 1/4 tsp piping gel added. Then it says to bring in enough frosting to decorate the cake in the colors i have chosen. She said to bring in 7 bags of icing and that we need to make a double batch ( one for frosting the cake and one for class). My question is: the icing for the actual cake decoration is a separate amount from what she specified. In other words, I do need to bring in 1 1/2 cups medium frosting + 1/4 c medium frosting in each color for my cake.
I know i can ask my instructor but today is easter sunday and class is on Tuesday, i would like to get everything done today.
Another question, i made the class buttercream from the book (as instructed) i used milk. Do i keep the frosting in the fridge or at room temp.?
I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance from KS.
ancameni

11 replies
MrsNewBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNewBaker Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 12

I'm new at this as well I have class 2 coming up Thursday so I could be wrong but the way my instructor told us was to make 3 batches of the wilton icing use 1 for icing your cake and bring the rest to class with your colors etc and we can thin our icing while in class.

My understanding is if you used milk or butter etc in your recipe keep it in the fridge.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 12

Hi! I also started my Course 1 last week (Thursday) and we were told to make two (2) batches: one thin consistency to ice the cakes that could be white or blue and a second batch medium consistency which should yield 3 cups. 1 1/2 of these we would leave medium cons, 1/2 cup thinned and piping gel added, and the remaining one cup med cons. divided and tinted in two color of our choosing. We will be doing the rainbow cake, and will use our share our tinted icing so everyone can have several colors. She did not ask for stiff consistency at this time, also most of the class do not have KA or stand mixers and she said hand mixer may break/burn if try to make stiff.

Hope this helps!

ancameni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ancameni Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 12

thank you so much.
I think I will make another batch of medium icing in my chosen colors and try to get a hold of the instructor. Today, i believe i did pretty good with the different frosting consistencies. Good luck on your class.

alex

amyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyf Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 12

Since you used milk, I would put it in the refrig. I use water. The icing will keep for about 2 weeks in a sealed container at room temp. I always took a little extra just in case, and since it will keep. You can also freeze the icing. When you are ready to use it, just set it out at room temp.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 12

I have read some posts where they say that even if you use milk, due to the all the sugar acting as a preservative, you do not need to refrigerate the icing. That said, I've generally used water, but I wanted it creamier so I use powdered coffee creamer mixed with water, and it it very stable at room temp for several days.

RIC-Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RIC-Girl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 12

When I took this class I purchased additional star tips (#16) and the round tips. We didn't have a way to wash tips in class so it made it difficult to use just the one tip provided in the kit. It makes things sooo much easier!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:58am
post #8 of 12

here's one tip i started doing with decorating cakes on location etc.. get a small thermos, fill it with as hot water as you can before you leave the house (i usually put water in the kettle and turn it on then fill, close and leave the house) that way i can dip my knife in the thermos to smooth out any mistakes that might happen Or i can use that to rinse out the tips if needed. usually i don't have to worry about using it but the one time i did take a wilton course... it was in a highschool home ec class room

with NO hot water!

i'm paying attention to this thread

i was asked recently to head up a cake decorating course for our small town local 4H group. little did i know till just recently after i was accepted and put in place etc that the course i'm teaching.. is a wilton course and once they compelte it they get a certificate (wow, i'm feeling a bit intimidated) lol do i have what it takes?

my only problem is.. when *I* first took wilton course- the same one i'm going to be teaching soon.. they taught me the basic buttercream /butter-crisco recipe

the new book thats out now i saw.. they use Just crisco and butter flavoring.. i'm sorry but that just doesn't sound palatable to me. yuck.. use some butter please! i could be wrong in this thought but.. boyi sure hope i can teach them the recipe the book shows- then teach them the other butter/crisco recipe as well. *sigh*

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:08am
post #9 of 12

If you do decide to keep you icing in the fridge, make sure you take it out in PLENTY of time for it to come to room temp before class. I forgot about that when I took a Wilton class and found it impossible to pipe with cold buttercream! icon_redface.gif

But, even with milk, you DO NOT need to refrigerate your icing! The recipe I use calls for milk and butter, and I never refrigerate. The sugar acts as a preservative to the milk. It will be fine on the counter for at least a week.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:36am
post #10 of 12

It's been a year since I took the course but from what I remember and from reading your post. You need to make 2 batches all together which will total 6 cups. The first batch (3 cups) you will use to ice your cake the other batch (3 cups) make it in whatever consistency you were told. According to what you posted you need 1 1/2 c medium consist., 1 cup stiff consist., and 1/2 thin consistency (which would equal your 3 cups). Our instructor let us choose whatever design we wanted (it did not have to be from the book) as long as we used the techniques she taught us. So I can't help you on the 7 bag/different colour issue. Was this the class where Wilton suggests you do the clown or the rainbow cake?

Also, for the amount of milk that is in the icing you will not need to put it in the fridge. You can also leave your cake out as long as you have not used any perishable fillings.

HTH and good luck! icon_smile.gif

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #11 of 12

Your book will give you instructions on what to bring. There's a page that says 'getting ready for lesson 2' or something like that.

katiedug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiedug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #12 of 12

hi...
i teach the wilton classes... for class two of course 1, if you are doing the rainbow cake, you need:

1 8 in round cake iced with thin blue icing (you need to make 1 batch of icing to ice the cake)

Make another batch of medium icing, divided like this:
1 1/2 cup white
divide the rest into the following colors: red, green, yellow, purple, blue

and, i agree about the icing.. even with milk, you can keep it out of the fridge for a few days... just make sure you put it in an airtight container.

i hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%