New, What Are Some Must Have Tools.

Decorating By Munchkinette Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm by islandgirl72

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone. I'm new, both to the forum and cake decorating. I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks now and have learned so much in such a little time. I really want to learn to decorate cakes as a hobby, just something to do for family and friends. I know the basics, how bake a cake and frost it using buttercream frosting but anything beyond that, not so much. One of the things I really want to learn to do is fondant. I think it looks so nice on cakes and it seems you can do just about anything with it. What are some of the must have tools of the trade beginners should have? Especially for doing fondant? Thanks!

Becky

10 replies
taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 11

I am new also but the best thing I have bought is a silicone mat to role fondant. I was about to give up on ever covering a cake with fondant until I got mine. the next things I love are my SugarShack videos!!

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 11

I LOVE my pasta machine it makes it so easy to get strips of fondant really thin and even. Cookie cutters are great and check out the clay section of your craft store there are always really cool molds, but I also have a hard time turning down new cake stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 11

Your first tools for fondant would be a mat to roll on if you don't have stone or stainless table or counters available (can use upholstery vinyl from the fabric store), a long rolling pin (can use a length of PVC pipe from the hardware store cleaned very thoroughly), two fondant smoothers (keeps hot hands off the cake as you smooth LOL - this is one of the few Wilton products that I would say is decent - use those coupons), and a knife or pizza cutter to trim the fondant and cut shapes free-hand (probably already have this). A shaker or new nylon knee-high to sprinkle powdered sugar and cornstarch is helpful, but this can be done with fingers if necessary. From there it is an addictive money game icon_lol.gif - there is a tool for almost anything you can imagine. I loooooove the green Makins clay gun - you can get lots of mileage from that $20 tool. I loooooove the pasta maker for rolling a consistent thickness for cutouts, and *I* need cutters for shapes cause I can't do free-hand work LOL. And on and on...... Now I need an addition to the house to store all of my necessities icon_biggrin.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 11

right there with you ibmoser!! Addition on the house needed.

I would suggest extra icing tips of the ones you commonly use, that way if you need the same tip for different colors you're not always changing them.

Welcome to CC, beware it is highly addictive as the warning states. LOL

}i{

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 11

I love my turntable and the silicone sheet thing you roll your fondant on it peels of well too, so you don't need loads of ps or cornstarch.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 11

For starting with fondant, your most basics would be, fondant smoother, and a good rolling pin. I love the stocking full of cornstarch for sprinkling the area where I am going to work.
And a pin to pop air pockets. The rest are just fun additions that you can decide to get as you want them..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 11

I know you asked about fondant tools, but I was wondering if you already have a nice turntable. Fat Daddios makes a really nice one. Also a bench scraper to smooth buttercream and a thin serrated cake knife. Those will help your cake look good, which is key if covering with fondant.

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone! I have none of the things you mentioned so I will heading to the store tomorrow to shop! Thank goodness for Michaels coupons, I have one for 50% off of a total purchase of $75.00 or more and I plan to use it. One of the things I'm debating about is buying the student kits now or waiting. I plan to take the wilton classes but haven't signed up. Boy you guys really got me all excited to make my first cake! I can't wait!

Butterfly, your a little late with that warning because I'm already addicted!

Becky

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkinette

Thanks everyone! I have none of the things you mentioned so I will heading to the store tomorrow to shop! Thank goodness for Michaels coupons, I have one for 50% off of a total purchase of $75.00 or more and I plan to use it. One of the things I'm debating about is buying the student kits now or waiting. I plan to take the wilton classes but haven't signed up. Boy you guys really got me all excited to make my first cake! I can't wait!

Butterfly, your a little late with that warning because I'm already addicted!

Becky

I would say, take the classes!...avoid frustrations!..Is so much easier when you know the basics.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

islandgirl72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl72 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 11

I am a newbie too icon_smile.gif Some of the things I have bought that I love and find helpful are:

turn table, fondant smoothers, rolling pin with rings to help me get consistent thickness, and an offset spatula and bench scraper for smoothing my buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%