Should I Make A Contract

Business By Alaskahsm Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm by cylstrial

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, my question:

I am hoping to be making a cake for a friend of a friend for her wedding. I called the state to make sure this is okay because I an not a business and the friend would be paying me. They told me that it was okay as long as this was a one time thing and I was not making a business out of it, which I am not, because I will be moving out of state very soon.

Anyway onto my question, should I write up a contract and would the contract be even legal since I am not a business?

4 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 5

YES!!!!

If you haven't been following the stopped payment thread then you should. It is an excellent example of why you should always have a contract.
A contract protects both parties.
Your contract would be legal even if you are not in business.

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, then my other question would be how do you set up a contract, like what are somethings I should include in it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 5

The Cakeboss website has a sample contract that you adjust to meet your needs. KellyM is a member here and is very helpful.

www.cakeboss.com

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, if you are exchanging money or services (like mowing the lawn or painting the house), you should definitely have a contract with that person. Otherwise, you're going to end up on Judge Judy! (Well maybe not)! Bbut better to be safe than sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%