How Many Tiers And What Size?

Decorating By ivgotahalo Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 1:13am by leah_s

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:38am
post #1 of 4

Ok. I can never figure this out. Please help!! I have a friend that wants a cake, round, to serve 120 people. I know you don't count the top tier in the total. Do you ususally use a 6 inch pan for the top for the anniversary cake? How many tiers will I need and What sizes?
Thanks!!

3 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 4

I just keep an old Wilton Yearbook around-they have a breakdown of servings in all of them. For round, if you're not using the top 6" tier for servings, I would do 12", 10", 8" with 6" for anniversary. I usually give my brides the option of the take home tier but tell them there is a difference in price. I charge per slice and add in the 12 servings the 6" would feed if they are going to take it home. It's usually not that much of a difference. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 4

I would go with 6,8, 10, 12. Usually thats personal for the top tier. But what we do is if they bring a photo of their cake on the anniversary day we make them a 6 inch cake for free.
Seems to work great!
Edna icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 4

Per Wilton wedding cake serving chart (which in on their website) 6/8/10/12 serves 132 using the whole thing, 120 saving the top tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%