Can Anyone Help With Adding An Edible Image?

Decorating By Lyndseyb52 Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 5:44am by tinygoose

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 3

Hi

I'm making a fondant covered cake for someone in 2 weeks and I want to add a printed edible image of a Royal Signals Army badge, but I've never used one before and wondered how to get a good finish.

It's their design, I tried to talk them into something a bit different but nope....they won't budge! I've added a picture of how the top of the cake will look, I just wondered how you're supposed to stick the image on . I'm worried it will either curl up or the colours will run. I can't really pipe round the edges because of the image being so fiddly.

aww I'm worried it's going to look rubbish!

Lyndsey xx
LL

2 replies
dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:18am
post #2 of 3

It shouldn't curl up at all. Just make sure you moisten the top of the fondant a bit with a wet paper towel before applying the edible image. You should be fine.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #3 of 3

I did my first one last month on fondant. I don't have an edible ink printer, so I printed regular ink on edible rice paper. I was going to be at the party, and knew I was the one cutting the cake, so I was ok with that. I used pastry gel.. a thin layer of it. I placed it on a piece of fondant I had cut to size (screen of retro tv, see pics).

It turned out great, no curling or anything!! The image I had was grainy, that was not a result of the printer, paper or anything else. Just a low pixel image that I had blown up. Worked fine for a b/w tv set though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%