2 Color Questions

Decorating By shebaben Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm by poohsmomma

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 4

(1) I am stumped how to get a true, non-turquoise-y NAVY blue color!. Even Americolor's "Navy" is turquoise-y. Just a nice pure blue that can be darkened for navy or left brighter for a bright royal blue....what do I need to mix?
(2) How should I make black shiny fondant to go an a "Sweet 16" funky guitar cake? I know with buttercream, starting with chocolate gives the easiest black, but I've not had to do a black fondant like this before. I have one week to figure this out! ALL help will be sincerely appreciated!! THANKS - Pat

3 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:09am
post #2 of 4

Are you adding enough of the coloring to get navy with the navy coloring? That would be my guess.

For bright royal blue - I just use Wilton's royal blue. If you use enough, it comes out nice. Sometimes it takes way more that you might think you need to put in.

For black fondant - I make the True Black MMF here in the recipes section. It starts out dark brown - just add black food coloring into the MM mixture. It comes out a nice black and still tastes good.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6971-6-True-Black-MMF.html

Good luck!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for your help. I've thought I've been using enough color - I know it takes a lot for all the dark colors - but I'll try even more. Thanks especially for the link to the black fondant recipe - it's completely new to me! I'll be trying it this week. Thanks again - PAT

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with LeckieAnne-you probably need to add more color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%