5 Tier Cake Delivery Questions

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 1:41am by JodieF

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 13

In May I will be making a 5 tier wedding cake to be delivered just over an hour away, on the other side of Kansas City. It will be square tiers, 14-12-10-8-6, with roses cascading down the side. I'd like to know what the best way to transport it would be...

I'm thinking of setting up some tiers ahead of time, then putting them together on site, but wondered if that might be too unwieldy. I could box them up and do the set-up completely on site, but that would also be time consuming. I don't have the money to invest in the SPS system right now ( icon_cry.gif ), though that looks to be a good thing to get!

I usually use dowels and separator plates/cardboard dividers. Anyone have any good ideas or experienced stories?

12 replies
Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 13

Set up the buttom three then the top two separately then when you get to the venue put them together and do the finishing but even then you need to give yourself about 3hrs leeway to relax and set up, so go early.

monkeydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeydust Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 13

from my experience if you stack more than 2 you may be in trouble when you start to lift them, I had to take mine individually this past weekend to sset up because of the weight, even though I took my honey. I made sure I had at least 3 hours to set up!
I hope everything goes well!

kansaswolf Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try to give myself as much time as possible for setup, and hopefully everything will turn out! It's also my bro's wedding, so I have to get there early enough to get set up, then changed and over to the wedding itself! *whew* I'm gonna have a full day!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:07am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by taresa

from my experience if you stack more than 2 you may be in trouble when you start to lift them.....

I was going to say the same thing. If you're going to pre-stack, I'd stack the bottom two and then the top three, because of the weight. (Actually, I'd stack the 14/12; stack the 10/8; then just plop the 6" on top when I get there.)

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:12am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taresa

from my experience if you stack more than 2 you may be in trouble when you start to lift them.....

I was going to say the same thing. If you're going to pre-stack, I'd stack the bottom two and then the top three, because of the weight. (Actually, I'd stack the 14/12; stack the 10/8; then just plop the 6" on top when I get there.)

You mean.....you will transport the 14/12 stacked in one box, 10/8 in one box, and the 6 in another box....and when you get to the location just assemble them together?? Also, what is the best way to transport them in...just a simple cardboard box??

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #7 of 13

SPS isn't expensive! It wouldn't cost you more than $20 for that cake!

I agree about the weight of it. The 5 tier cake I did weighed almost 90 pounds. I was curious and weighed the individual tiers. On top of it being heavy, you have to be sure to carry the tiers flat.

Be sure to use that nubby shelf liner under the cakes. It will keep everything from moving in the car.

Jodie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

You mean.....you will transport the 14/12 stacked in one box, 10/8 in one box, and the 6 in another box....and when you get to the location just assemble them together?? Also, what is the best way to transport them in...just a simple cardboard box??

Yes, to the "in one box" questions. I actually transport mine on my 18x26 baking sheets. Lay a section of no-skid material on the baking tray, set the cakes on it and off we go. They are nice and sturdy for carrying, fit on carts nice and easy, and I can lay my tools in the surplus space. Sometimes I can fit an entire unassembled cake on one tray, depending on size.

kansaswolf Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 13

Ooh, more good advice! I was thinking I probably will go with assembling two/two/ and leave the top one until I get there. I also have several roses to go on the cake, so I just hope I have enough room to transport everything!

Really? Only $20 for SPS? Does that include shipping? I seem to remember pricing that some time ago, but I came up with a higher number than that... Maybe I wasn't pricing the right amount of stuff... I don't know, I'm so used to working with whatever I have so as to be cost effective, but maybe I'll give that another look!

Yeah, my husband has been out of work for two months now, so I'm scrimping every penny just to get by nowadays! $20 really IS a lot for me at the moment, but if it'll save a cake from falling, it's worth it, huh?

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 13

Just my 2 cents... I use cake plates between each tier and the Wilton hidden columns as my support system. The legs of the plates fit down into the columns and keeps the tiers from sliding. My stacked cakes are completely assembled and decorated before delivery, doesn't matter if it's 2 tiers or 6 tiers. I found that not only was it too time consuming to do on-site, but that my crusting bc icing had a tendency to crack if it was being handled to much after it had "set up". The cakes are definitely heavy, but my hubby always comes with me on all deliveries and he can usually handle a 4-tier by himself. We'll carry the bigger ones together, plus whenever possible, we use a low, flat cart to help with deliveries.

I have delivered cakes all over the state of SC - many more than an hour away and into the mountains of NC. I drive carefully and with some heartburn, but we have delivered hundreds of cakes and we have NEVER "lost" one. The cakes are assembled, on their plateaus, not boxed - just sitting on the floor of the van with the AC on high.

I think it's something that you work your way up to and with every successful delivery, you gain a little confidence and security in your support system.

JodieF Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 13

Kansaswolf.....I priced everything out at Oasis...the plates are $11.20 for the 6, 8, 10, and 12 and you'd need 2 bags of pillars at $4.50 per bag (12 to a bag). I didn't check into shipping.

Jodie

kansaswolf Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #12 of 13

Thanks, Jodie! I hope they take PayPal...

JodieF Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #13 of 13

Kansaswolf....I meant to also say that I reuse mine. There's no reason you can't! You might also want to check Global Sugar Art to compare prices....I know they carry them too.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%