How To Make A Basket Handle

Decorating By isabow2 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 3:16am by juleebug

isabow2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all! I am making an Easter/Spring basket cake for my grandma's bday, but I'm having some trouble w/the handle for it. I wrapped some gumpaste around some wire & pinched the sides together, but it's too skinny in proportion to the cake. What are some other ways that I can make a nice basket handle? icon_confused.gif

10 replies
tiggy2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 11

Roll a couple of long sausages out of gum paste (as fat as you want the handle to be) and twist them together to look like a rope. Shape and lay flat to dry for a couple of days to dry.

brincess_b Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 11

you could use sweets too, like thick liquorice, things like that. nto too sure on how people get it to stay bent, but they do! good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

brincess_b Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 11

you could use sweets too, like thick liquorice, things like that. nto too sure on how people get it to stay bent, but they do! good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

PinkZiab Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Roll a couple of long sausages out of gum paste (as fat as you want the handle to be) and twist them together to look like a rope. Shape and lay flat to dry for a couple of days to dry.

This is the method I would use, although I'd lay it to dry in a bed of PS or corn starch or on very soft foam so I didn't get any flattening on one side. Also, I would push a skewer into either end of the handle while it was soft, so that it would be easier to anchor into the cake.

isabow2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much for your responses. I didn't think about trying the candy idea. I think I will try making the handle again tonight using the rope method. Thanks!!

RandomCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 11

I just had this same problem. I tried the rolling out, but my fondant is just a bit off the right texture, and every time I try, I get breaks in the fondant, or the twisted part doesn't look right. These are for tomorrow morning, so I don't have time for gumpaste to dry.

I finally took a small circle cutter, cut circles in two of the colors I'm using for the basketweave, and wet them and folded them in half over a floral wire I had. It worked great, it looks like it's scalloped.

HTH!

pattycakesnj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 11

try making the handle out of a braid of fondant/gumpaste and put sticks in the bottom to push into cake when dry. Check out my Easterbasket in my pics, i used the braid and it come out great and was sturdy.

RandomCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #9 of 11

Here's a pic to show you what I did. The first one (the pink/purple basket) I didn't think to bend the wire first, so it turned out a little weird. Luckily, it's only for my daughter's kindergarten class, the other one is for my son's 2nd grade class.

HTH!
LL

isabow2 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:02am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCakes

Here's a pic to show you what I did. The first one (the pink/purple basket) I didn't think to bend the wire first, so it turned out a little weird. Luckily, it's only for my daughter's kindergarten class, the other one is for my son's 2nd grade class.

HTH!

How did you do those?

I ended up using the rope handle. The cake is in my pics. Not my best work, but I still like it & I'm sure my grandma will too. thumbs_up.gif

juleebug Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCakes

I finally took a small circle cutter, cut circles in two of the colors I'm using for the basketweave, and wet them and folded them in half over a floral wire I had. It worked great, it looks like it's scalloped.

HTH!

GREAT FIX! I've been racking my brain for how to make a last minute handle that will dry by the time I need it. Looks like my search is over. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%