Website Help......

Business By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 4:38am by JaimeAnn

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone!!! I would like to start up my own website, can anyone give me tips,ideas,instructions....etc. on how to go about this??? I know i have to get a domain name, but what do i do after that? and where can i find someone to design a logo/webpage for me(what are some companies that you guys have used?)......anyone want to help??? icon_lol.gif

7 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 8

There are a TON of building tools out there and eveyone has their reasons for liking them. IMHO the bottom line is How much are you willing to do/learn on your own?

I started out knowing NOTHING, but didn't want to spend any money on it, so I learned a lot in a short amount of time.

I found that the local college had a lot of info. I asked students and professors questions.

Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 8

I built my cake website in www.web.com. It's about $20 per month hosting fee. It was much less than that when I started with them.

I will launch a new website tomorrow for my B&B at www.Goaddy.com. A 5 page website is $5 per month.

Domain purchase should run anywhere from $2 - 12 for the first year.

Most hosting sites have templates that you can work with, so if you can type and upload pictures you really should be able to figure out most of the basics. GoDaddy has 24/7 help by phone.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 8

I got one on godaddy.com

I paid like $5 for the domain name, and got 5 free pages of webhosting for free(since I bought the domain from them,)

I didn't know that when I started, so I actually bought hosting through them, and when I found out they just credited my bank account.

Also, website tonight is included for free as well. That is a drag and drop program, as opposed to the ridonkulous html kind.

Good luck!!

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #5 of 8

I use go daddy with website tonight and like it I used heritage web solutions before and it was a huge waste of money and aggrivation

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 8

I have yahoo. With my own domain name. I think I pay $12 a month. They give you the program to design your own site. Very time consuming but would cost a bundle to have someone else do it. My site is something like 12 pages and I guess it could be more if I needed. I've never had it say I was over my limit.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 8

Mine is hosted by vistaprint.com. I've been happy with it. Mine is 9.98/month

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:38am
post #8 of 8

My ISP gives me free homepage space and building tools. the sites you can build are pretty basic but can still be nice. You may want to check your ISP and see if they offer storage space. I purchased my domain name from GoDaddy for $7.95 then had it point to my ISP page. So as long as I have the same ISP my page is free.

www.SewRetroAprons.com

This is what I have so far . It is still under construction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%